Lenses

Sardine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I have an old Zeiss Ikon that has two lenses, and I'd like to know if it would be possible to use said lenses on a modern digital camera? Just shout if you want pics.

Also, once I get the hang of using a film camera, I rekon the photo's will be pretty good, and I'd like to upload them on the net.. problem is, it's film. Any advice on how to go from film->digital? I could take a photo of the developed photo, but that will bring the quality of the original down.

scan the negative, then if becomes a file which is digital.

scanning can be touchy and it has a learning curve , done properly the quality should be fine.

There are very few digital rangefinders out there so using the lenses may be very hard and VERY expensive. The most popular and perhaps only digital rangefinders are the Epson R-D1 and the Leica M8. The Leica has a "crop" sensor about 1.3x APS H size or roughly the same size as the 1D. This means that your old lenses won't preform the way they used to. They will be effectively 30% "longer" because of the sensor size, the same way that a DLSR like the XTi or D40 has a 1.6x APS C sensor. I'm not terribly familiar with the Epson so it may work for what you want, but in general, you will spend far less money simply running film in your old camera and having it scanned when it is processed or picking up a negative scanner. A decent scan will give you more than enough resolution to share photos on the web and you'll have your negatives for prints.

I shoot black and white film. I process my own but I don't print yet. So I've been scanning and reversing my negs for a couple of years now. Takes some gidgeting but it can be done well for online display with even a basic HP and the right image editing software, and I'm not refering to PS either.

Hi

I have an old Zeiss Ikon that has two lenses, and I'd like to know if it would be possible to use said lenses on a modern digital camera? Just shout if you want pics.

Zeiss made hundreds of different cameras over the years and used a number
of different lens mounts. Adapters may exist for some that could allow
mounting on a digital camera but without knowing the model of your camera,
it's impossible to say.

i would stay away from the epson rangefinder, it was horrible.

more detail on the lenses please :)

I shoot black and white film. I process my own but I don't print yet. So I've been scanning and reversing my negs for a couple of years now. Takes some gidgeting but it can be done well for online display with even a basic HP and the right image editing software, and I'm not refering to PS either.

...The performance of my HP scanner was less than what I would call acceptable, but then again I lack editing software...

Sardine, your best bet is to get a film enabled scanner. This would allow you to use the Zeiss and not have to *****foot around with trying to find a dRangefinder that will accept the lenses.

The Zeiss Icarex models used 2 different lens mounts (screw & bayonet). If
yours is the screw mount type then you can mount the lenses on Pentax digital
SLRs using an M42/K-mount adapter.

If you still love film and rangefinders (assuming the Ikon rangefinder), I recommend sticking to what you have and purchase a very good scanner. Remember.... purchasing a scanner is like purchasing a digital SLR. You get what you pay for (Nikon 5000, 9000, Epson V700/750 are some examples to look into).

If you must have a digital rangefinder, the Leica M8 (or M8.2) is your only choice among current production. The Epson R-D1 has not been in production in a few years now. Both are good but quirky cameras.... relatively expensive because of the size of the target market. Lens choices are Leica (expensive), Zeiss (slightly less expensive), and Voigtlander (good bang for buck).

In general, it is difficult to adapt rangefinder lenses to a DSLR because of the close film plane distance of rangefinders.

Most reactions

Back