Lenses...

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I am looking into a Canon 50D to buy this summer (unless something new by Canon catches my eye) I was wondering what lenses are preferred by some of you who have more experience than I do. This is my first SLR camera but I consider myself to know quite a bit about photography so I was looking for lenses that reduce CA and such. Are the lenses that come with Canon cameras any good (18-55mm, 70-300mm) or should I look into Tamrons or Sigma lenses?

Thanks!!

www.coffmanimages.webs.com

Welcome to the forum.

What type of photography are you planning to do? And what is your budget?

Welcome aboard.

EF-S 10-22mm
EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS
EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS

;)

What type of photography are you planning to do? And what is your budget?

I like to do mostly scenery like sunsets/rises/mountains, a lot of wild life (moose, birds, etc) as well as some macro. As far as budget, I will be getting a kit on Ebay which includes the 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses. The kit will run me around $1300 brand new. I'm not looking to spend thousands on lenses but would like to have something that took great pictures that is free of CA which is a problem I have had with a couple pictures I've taken. I'd like to have a telezoom lens for distance, a macro lens, and a everyday lens like an 18-55mm.

Last edited:
I like to do mostly scenery like sunsets/rises/mountains, a lot of wild life (moose, birds, etc) as well as some macro. As far as budget, I will be getting a kit on Ebay which includes the 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses. The kit will run me around $1300 brand new. I'm not looking to spend thousands on lenses but would like to have something that took great pictures that is free of CA which is a problem I have had with a couple pictures I've taken. I'd like to have a telezoom lens for distance, a macro lens, and a everyday lens like an 18-55mm.

1) Yeaaahhhh don't buy the kit. eBay kits are ripoffs cause almost everything included in them is junk you'll throw out in a month.

2) If you want awesome pictures you gotta pay up for the glass. Quick suggestion for you to look into is primes - in exchange for not being able to zoom you get some of the best possible glass and a very affordable price.

I dont think there are lenses completely free of CA, good lenses just have very low levels of it.

17-40mm F4 L
100mm F2.8 macro
70-300mm IS

all these should run you about 2000, in canadian dollars at least.

600 f/4 IS is great for birding and "wild" wildlife!

get a nikon d90 instead

1) Yeaaahhhh don't buy the kit. eBay kits are ripoffs cause almost everything included in them is junk you'll throw out in a month.

2) If you want awesome pictures you gotta pay up for the glass. Quick suggestion for you to look into is primes - in exchange for not being able to zoom you get some of the best possible glass and a very affordable price.

What about them makes them junk? I think it's a pretty good deal since everything is new... The lenses that come with them are canon lenses. As far as the primes, there is one that comes with it. I knew the primes gave you the best quality so I figured it was a bonus that it was included.

The kit lenses will take good pictures. However, you sound like you are excited about photography. The chance of you outgrowing those lenses is fairly high. You may be better off sinking your money into something that will get you more usage. You might want to consider getting the 50D and then possible a lens like the Canon 18-200 IS lens or the 28-135 Canon lens. I have shot with both of those and they deliver solid images. I have a friend that uses the 50D with the 18-200mm IS as his only lens. It works out very well for him. Low light would still be an issue with both of these lenses.

If you want something that will be with you for a long time, then consider the L series lenses. They are considerably higher. However, they are mugh higher end lenses. Better build, optics, etc. They will give you your longest life and best images.

What about them makes them junk? I think it's a pretty good deal since everything is new... The lenses that come with them are canon lenses. As far as the primes, there is one that comes with it. I knew the primes gave you the best quality so I figured it was a bonus that it was included.

While I wouldn't use the term junk, they are just consumer grade lenses. The build is not going to be top notch, nor are the materials used in the lenses, including the glass and coatings. It's not a white paint job or red ring on the end of a Canon lens that makes it expensive, rather it is the amount of engineering that goes into the lens, and the quality of the materials and work that goes into that lens that makes it a quality lens.

There are some good consumer grade glass, the 50mm f1.8 is a good example, and then there are some real stinkers.

You would be better served to look at a body alone along with something like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. (A highly regarded lens in the $400.00 range. The physical build is not L quality but the optics are outstanding) and a 70-200 f4L. Probably the best buy in an L quality lens you can get at around $600.00.

The fact is, to do the type of photography you want to, its going to costs many thousands of dollars. The absolutely cheapest route (while trying to to compromise with cheap kit zooms).

For landscape: Sigma 18-50 F2.8 ($400)
For Macro: Sigma 105mm F2.8 ($400)
For wildlife: Canon 400mm F5.6 ($1,100)

All three of these lenses aren't the best available, but still offer excellent quality. I highly recommend them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back