Less of Kathryn...But somehow, More!

Ray,

I just watched the tutorial - thanks for that. I will have a play with that later today, whether I like brighter or darker images, the coupld of simple steps you used are going to be helpful in my PP of any photo.

Many Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

I agree. The image in my post WAS very light. I left it that way On Purpose... to show that you can rescue a terribly dark image from darkness...so much so...that you would then be complaining about just the opposite problem...the image is too light!!

The beauty of the methodology you saw... is the fact that EVERY layer and EVERY adjustment you make... automatically has an opacity slider placed on each layer!! What this means for you is: that you can apply an effect where you want it...and then be able to infinitely and repeatedly control it without penalty. You should be able to paint on light into any image...and then be able to artistically balance out the image just the way you like it. The mask part of the procedure allows you to selectively paint in the light exactly where you want it to be...and the opacity slider part allows you to have complete control of the strength of the newly added light.

In my case, I can shoot in the streets of New York City (at midnight) at ISO 100 and end up with an image that has great visibility in all parts of the image... by using Several layers of levels adjustments... and Several layers of curves adjustments. These adjustments are also "non-destructive"... which means that they are completely transparent and you can use as many layers as you need. Because I can now selectively paint on light exactly where I want it...and completely control its intensity...I can now get to be quite creative in my photography!!!

Try this technique with a landscape image or a travel image too...the principle works great with any kind of image!

Cheers,

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

I agree. The image in my post WAS very light. I left it that way On Purpose... to show that you can rescue a terribly dark image from darkness...so much so...that you would then be complaining about just the opposite problem...the image is too light!! This technique can work just as well with a portrait, a landscape, an architectural interior, or a group image.

The beauty of the methodology you saw... is the fact that EVERY layer and EVERY adjustment you make... automatically has an opacity slider placed on each layer!! What this means for you is: that you can apply an effect where you want it...and then be able to infinitely and repeatedly adjust it again and again without penalty... so that it suits your own artistic needs and taste. You should be able to paint on light into any image...and then be able to balance out the image just the way you like it. The mask part of the procedure allows you to selectively paint in the light exactly where you want it...and the opacity slider part allows you to have complete control of the strength of the newly added light.

In my case, I can shoot in the streets of New York City (at midnight) at ISO 100 and end up with an image that has great visibility in all parts of the image... by using Several layers of levels adjustments... and Several layers of curves adjustments. These adjustments are "non-destructive"... which means that they are completely transparent and will not further degrade your image. Because I can now selectively paint on light exactly where I want it...and completely control its intensity...I can now get to be quite creative in my photography!!!

Try this technique with a landscape image or a travel image of yours too...it works just great... whenever you end up needing 1 to 5 extra f-stops of well placed light... that is artistically placed and completely controllable.

Cheers,

Ray

Indeed I will do. None of the actual methods are beyond my ability in Photoshop, but knowing which method to use when is all important. That's what I got from the video. :)

Many thanks again. :)

Most reactions

Back