Lesser sunbird male and female

rick93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi friends,
In between the rain storms (rainy season here) I tried to take some photos these last days. I woke up a couple days ago and saw this female sunbird sitting in a cocoa tree close to my 'window' (opening with mosquito screen) so I quickly grabbed my Canon and ran outside. Luckily she wasn't very scared and I was able to come quite close. I saw the male sunbird feeding on some flowers today and got some shots of him too. With all the rain and clouds it's hard to get enough light for fast and low ISO shots, But this is what I got and thought I'd share.

1. Female- 1/500sec, f/5.6, ISO 800

IMG_7409.jpg

2. Male- 1/200sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600

IMG_7849-1.jpg

Thanks all-

Last edited:
Nice shots Rick :) I've never seen these guys before, the female is very pretty and the male is just awesome!

Lol, thank you PixelRabbit!

Last edited:
Rick, great shots. It never ceases to amaze me just how colourful some tropical birds are, particularly the smaller ones. When my wife and I were in Botswana last year, I remember how colourful some of the smaller birds were. The bee eaters and the Lilac Breasted Roller were particularly impressive.

Wicked cool colors! Beautiful birds. Great comp.
Cheers,
Jed

Rick, great shots. It never ceases to amaze me just how colourful some tropical birds are, particularly the smaller ones. When my wife and I were in Botswana last year, I remember how colourful some of the smaller birds were. The bee eaters and the Lilac Breasted Roller were particularly impressive.

Thank you WesternGuy! It's true that there is an immense variety of beautiful coloured birds in these tropical countries. With that comes the problem of photographing them, they are so quick! I've seen some incredible beautiful little birds here that I doubt I'll ever take a nice photo of.
Due to our Dutch blood we have a lot of flowers around our house that attract lots of birds. The problem with that is that ,instead of studying, I am outside with my camera... well.. whatever.

Wicked cool colors! Beautiful birds. Great comp.
Cheers,
Jed

Thanks Jed.
Cheers as well.

Here another photo of the female on the flowers. I shot it this morning.

3. 1/200 sec, f/8.0, ISO 800

IMG_7956.jpg

Rick just a super 2 picture set. Exposure and colors are just perfect. In each the bird seems to be almost dead center, yet in picture #3 you just plain nailed it. Just a rock solid image.

Thank you Joel!

They look pretty nice job rick ross! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back