Lesson learned the hard way!!! =(

Update!!!! My husband was able to recover several gigs worth of files after work! In total, I only permanently lost just under 10 photos, and they were only copies or shots very similar to shots I was able to recover!

We're looking into buying a "home server" for backing up files, as well as copying important photos to DvD, and backing up our hard drives on Mozy. I want to prevent any of this EVER happening again, it was such a huge relief that I didn't loose these photos forever.

Thanks for the help everyone.. Just coming here to vent about the situation with others who could empathize was a great help!

good stull,

what i do,

hard drive ar so cheap right now, i use 2 1tb hd and i keep everthing in double, i also backup everythving once in a while on dvd dl.

Look into HP's mediasmart home servers with Windows Home Server. It's one of the easiest to use and administer that I've ever come across and has some really good redundancy and backup features. Plus you can stick 4 2TB HDDs in one and not have to worry about space any time soon.

It sounds like you are looking at getting into professional photography... "Thank GOODNESS I haven't gone into buisiness yet"....

If that is the case, you'll most certainly want a website. When you do so, go with a hosting service that focuses on comercial hosting. Check with them as to how they manage data backups and drive redundancy, you husband should know what I'm taking about.

A reputable hosting sevice will provide, with even a basic webhosting plan, unlimited storage and have both on site and offsite data backups. If your specific server crasher, it'll be backed up... if the entire building explodes, it'll be backed up.

If you have any questions, or would like some recomendatioins, I'd be glad to help you out.

I hadn't considered running back up through my web hosting service. I've been building up my portfolio and just doing free sessions to gain experience so far.. but it's really taken off so quickly, through word of mouth and people requesting to have pictures done.. added with all the time in post processing and proofing.. along with taking care of my four children full time, it's turned into a lot of work =P So far, I've just used blogspot as my website, for sharing what's new, sessions I've done and have planned to do... Silly compressed sized images of my work =P But I would really like to look into a professional hosting service for a better website... If you have any speciffic ones you recommend I'd be glad to look into them!
I've come across "photobiz" so far, but that's the only one I've looked into.

i would use GetdatabackNTSF (if you have a windows machine) fairly cheap and it works great, software is going to scan all the sector of your hard drives and recover anything thats in there (you have to select what you want) the software is actually really easy to use.
when you delete something from your hard drives, you are only breaking the link from windows to the actual data. data is still there untill you save something new on you pc that would go and overwrite the same sector. untill then your data is probably still there.

This was how my husband explained it to me yesturday as well... It was the reason I did still loose a few files, because they were the "place" the computer chose to "save new data" when I created the gap by deleting them. Overall though, it could have been SO much worse.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support! This is definitely one of those lessons you learn once and then take every possible measure to make sure it does NOT happen again.

Look into HP's mediasmart home servers with Windows Home Server. It's one of the easiest to use and administer that I've ever come across and has some really good redundancy and backup features. Plus you can stick 4 2TB HDDs in one and not have to worry about space any time soon.
8 TB's ??? :shock:

Can you imagine going back to the day when 1G was a huge hard drive? I dont' consider myself very old, but good grief... technology makes me feel pretty darn old sometimes:lol:

Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions | Mozy

$5 a month for unlimited backups, per machine. $5 a month of piece of mind!

I backup my Macbook Pro to a 1TB Time Capsule, AND up to mozy with encryption. My windows machines are also backed up to Mozy (I have three backup sets on mozy, so pay $15 a month total).

For less than that she can get a zenfolio account with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage AND have a front for displaying her photos. If she is doing only photo backups that would be the better route ($50/year which is closer to $4/month).

Girlfriend, this happened to me several years ago. I had a full hard drive failure. Most of it was backed up, but one wedding I was working on was not, and it was huge. Not to mention all my programs.

For $200 bucks it was all recovered. Call a computer place and I hope it all works out.
Best wishes.

8 TB's ??? :shock:

Can you imagine going back to the day when 1G was a huge hard drive? I dont' consider myself very old, but good grief... technology makes me feel pretty darn old sometimes:lol:

I still have computer games on 5 1/4" floppies

It's fairly cheap too. I ended up with a server from Newegg with everything installed and 750MB HDD for about $300. Newegg had 2TB HDDs for about $150.

I'm glad your story has a resonably happy ending.
I gotta go home now and connect my TB and do some backup!
Thanks for the reminder!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back