480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Local auto show today. Perfect day: cool and totally overcast!

350_Post.jpg~original

ReverseReflection_Post.jpg~original

BlackChrome_Post.jpg~original

RecessedAntenna_Post.jpg~original

SteeringReflections_Post.jpg~original

RearView_Post.jpg~original

BlueTeardropandGrill_Post.jpg~original

DoubleReflection_Post.jpg~original

AuxiliaryLight_Post.jpg~original

Minneapolis-Moline_Post.jpg~original

M-MRim_Post.jpg~original

lambourghini_Post.jpg~original

MustangDoorHandle_Post.jpg~original

DrivingLight_Post.jpg~original

FordTailLight_Post.jpg~original

TweetyBird_Post.jpg~original

Dreams_Post.jpg~original

TailLight_Post.jpg~original

HoodLock_Post.jpg~original

Cobra_Post.jpg~original

52Buick_Post.jpg~original

Biscayne_Post.jpg~original

Antenna_Post.jpg~original

ReadytoRoll_Post.jpg~original

Coronet440_Post.jpg~original

RedTeardrop_Post.jpg~original

RedRimReflections_Post.jpg~original

HoodPin_Post.jpg~original

Suicide Knob. Been a while. Such a wonderful set. thanks sparky

Love these, Sparky! I'll have to go back through later and pick my favorites, but these are definitely MY kind of car shots. I'm not really into cars, but I love all the details on them. I do know I especially liked the recessed antenna and #17, "Dreams."

Suicide Knob. Been a while. Such a wonderful set. thanks sparky

I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?
I've driven some pretty old cars in my lifetime, but if I've ever seen one with that before, I don't remember it.

.........I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?
I've driven some pretty old cars in my lifetime, but if I've ever seen one with that before, I don't remember it.

Steering Knob. AKA Suicide Knob, Necking/Necker Knob, Spinner. A knob placed on your steering wheel allowing you to drive with one hand, leaving the other free to put around your date. A knob attached to the rim of a steering wheel that enables a driver to turn the wheel by moving the knob. Very common in the late 1940s and through the 1950s. Illegal in most places since then.

.........I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?

Steering Knob. AKA Suicide Knob, Necking/Necker Knob, Spinner. A knob placed on your steering wheel allowing you to drive with one hand, leaving the other free to put around your date. A knob attached to the rim of a steering wheel that enables a driver to turn the wheel by moving the knob. Very common in the late 1940s and through the 1950s. Illegal in most places since then.

The reason that knob got it's AKA Suicide knob, was you could turn the wheel so fast,that a lot of cars got flipped.

too many to comment on, but 4... seems like you could have done a LOT with that in an abstracty sort of way.

8 was nice.

The reason that knob got it's AKA Suicide knob, was you could turn the wheel so fast,that a lot of cars got flipped.

A lot of old cars had 6-8 turn steering wheel set-ups before the steering mechanism would reach it's limit. Unless you had super-human strength in those pre-power-steering days, I can't conceive anyone turning the wheel that fast. With today's power steering, and most cars today only turn 1-3 full turns before the mechanism stops, I can see flipping over in a J-turn.

I think the reason they're illegal now is because of the potential for injury caused by sudden tire movement being transferred back to the steering wheel. You hit a pothole or curb and end up with a broken wrist, thumb, etc. They were also known to get caught up in loose clothing.

Most reactions

Back