Lets get down to business, my business that is. All new gear.

EquinePhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting with a Canon powershot xs10 is for the last 3 years, and have done a fair job with it. Landed one big one in an international horse magazine last year.

I want something that is going to last me awhile, and is going to give me the high quality that I need, to go any further than I have gone. I need something that is versatile enough that I can do high quality action (like barrel racing or jumping) and sharp enough for the standing portraits/halter. Something that is NOT going to hold me back.

I'm looking at the Nikon d3100 and 5100. And I know virtually nothing about lenses, and probably wont go with anything other than the ones they come with, for now.

It's getting late in the season for me to decide the time is now, but do you think either of those will improve the quality of the images? Am I going to see the 'difference'?

Thanks much for any opinions. I know I need something different, but don't know what I'm looking for.. I know my horses and I know my photography, but camera shopping gives me a headache! Not ready to spend a fortune yet either. I've got some shoots scheduled coming up an possibly a show in August, so now is the time :thumbup:

Last edited:
You can't rely on the gear. You have to rely on your knowledge and skill.

Your knowledge and skill should included understanding how cameras and lenses work, and how they are most advantageously used to produce your work product.

Both the D3100 and the D5100 are compact, entry-level cameras designed for the casual and hobby shooter. IMO you should be considering the Nikon D90 and the Nikon D7000 instead.

Note that the compact Nikon entry-level cameras do not have an auto focus motor in the camera body, while the D90 and D7000 do have the motor and screw-drive focusing system.

The compact Nikons lack the top LCD display, 2 command wheels, CLS commander mode, pentaprism viewfinder, external controls, and some other features the D90 and D7000 have.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you're looking to shoot high quality action from a distance, like I'm assuming from your post, buying a DSLR with the stock lens isn't going to do you any good. The 18-55mm lens that comes with the D3100 probably won't give you the distance you need, and the lenses with more range that come with the more expensive DSLRs often won't be fast enough for the action you're shooting. You'll have to buy a lens with quite a bit of zoom and a wide aperture for high quality action shots, and they run quite expensive, often more than the camera body itself. My advice would be is that if you're doing well with your Powershot, stick with it. If you decide to upgrade it's going to be a significant investment of money, and time spent learning your new gear.

Good to hear that you have mastered your Canon Powershot.
Any current DSLR will provide you a better sensor.
Your Canon bridge camera has a 35mm equivalent lens of 28-560mm ... which translates to about 18-370mm for an APS-C sensor ... so you probably will need two lenses to cover that.

It's business time!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a guy selling a d90 on the forum. It'll last you.( I've been using a d40x for almost 7 or 8 yes now and have done pretty well for myself with it.) Great price. If you are serious. Get that and then spend good money on a quality lens. But learn the camera before you use it on a paid gig. It's a whole different beast then the powershot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back