Let's get this Clear....Re: Pentax

Several years ago, the scientific community thought that space was a void. Nothing was connected. We were alone, disconnected and totally autonomous. However, as of late that hypothesis has been replaced by the dark matter and the zero point theories or called

Please don't mingle physical sciences with this sort of discussion here ...else you might wake up the pro scientists on the forum ;)

I think most people in here value your contribtutions and your willingness to share part of your experience. :)

Just sometimes it seems like in addition to that you are on a mission, and part of that mission enters some of your posts which are about general photography.

I am not a pro photographer (which means I make my living from other sources of money), but when I post some of my work here I tell people maybe what sort of lens I used, what film I used, or if it was a digitial sensor. But I hardly ever tell people which brand name is printed on the camera body I used, because I think it simply does not matter.

Don't get me wrong, I myself never felt offended by any posts of yours. I also get your point that you try to tell that there is more in photography than two brand names only, and that noone should be discredited as a pro for not using those brands.
However, different from most other forums I know, this one here is not so brand-name-focussed anyway, that is one reason why I like this place.

On some other forums they wage real war about which brand is "the best" ... and they forget about photography in this discussion. Also film and digital people manage to coexist here, which again tells me this forum is about the image mainly.

I can't imagine a situation in which an artist shifted from one brush manufacturer to another and caused a single eyebrow to be raised.
:lol:

Very good point!!!

On the same note... that artist most likely didn't start posting about his/her switch.... nor announced their sponsorship with said manufacturer... nor dedicate a few threads on the topic even before they hit a 100 posts....

... Nor did they put the manufacturers name of the brush above the final painting.

Yes.. cameras a tool that mean very little compared to the final image. This did not argue that fact.. simply the intentions of the OP. Perhaps his true intention was some advertising push by Pentax.. perhaps his true intentions was to share his excitement. When it comes down to is that it is difficult to determine this from just postings on TPF..... its all about perception..

I too would be extremely interested in the details that caused Ben to switch from Canon to Pentax. Was it dissappointment in Canon's equipment? What does the K10d do for you that the 1ds MII or 5d could not. Who approached who.. Pentax initiated the move to sponsorship or was it initiated by Ben? Was there strain in the relationship with Canon?.. etc..

I have to ask: what exactly did the K10D have that the markII (or III) or 5D lacked?

I understand that any camera works when put in the right hands, and that sometimes it's the "feel" that motivates a switch, but I'm curious as to why the K10D stood out among other, significantly better, cameras (technically).

It was very weird how all of this came about. I was still sponsored by Canon and had a good relationship with them. The last campaign I shot was a mix of 'Blad and digital back and Canon for the still life. Had been using Canon Digital since about the middle of the 10D's existence. I had been using Pentax 67 camera's for years and everything was just rosy. One day I happened to come across an article discussing the new Pentax K10D, as well as the up and coming 645D. I was very curious, as it offered certain amenities like in camera SR and sensor cleaning as well as 22 bit processing. I really just wanted to check it out. I was also very curious about the 645D and when it may be available. Now you have to understand. I was published in PHOTO Magazine in France in two consecutive issues in regards to my affiliation with Canon as well as having my photo exhibition in Cannes sponsored by Canon and as a result got quite a bit of press coverage. I specify this for a reason that will become evident shortly.

I decided to make an anonymous call to the head office of Pentax for Europe, which is in Hamburg. When I made the call, I asked for the head of Pro Division relations. They asked my name, which I had to give them, figuring they wouldn't know who I was. I started the conversation like this..."I am quite curious about your K10D and 645D." "Well the 645D isn't out yet..." "OK, let's just say that I am curious about the K10D and when the 645D comes out, I'd be interested in hearing about it." They said "What are your intentions Benjamin?" I responded "I have none, I'm just curious that's all." They said "Are you interested in changing brands, is that why you are calling?" "I responded, I am curious to check out the camera..."
They said they would get back to me. About two weeks later I got a call from Pentax, France. They suggested that a sponsorship might be very beneficial to both parties.

Pentax Marketing understood the importance of my coming on board with them, especially with my past affiliations with another competing brand. Marketing is Marketing and brand recognition by Pro's in all realms whether, Sports, Photography, Musical Instruments, Clothing, etc. have a similar "raison d'être.."

After checking out the K10D and with the understanding that the 645D was not vaporware, I made the decision to switch to Pentax. I had used Canon products for over 18 years. I think they produce some of the finest image capturing devices in the world, but it was time to make a change perhaps just for a change. A breath of fresh air so to speak. The future? We shall see what we shall see...

Here's a suggestion, Ben. As a professional you can make images with any camera. You and I both know that. Using a Pentax doesn't make the image any different than using the Canons you used before. We all understand that a great photograph is in the eye of the photographer and not in the camera lens. We all understand that Pentax makes competent products.

My suggestion would be to share your experience and talents about photography and forget the camera issue. Stay independent of the equipment in your posts and your posts will be more valuable to the community. Obviously you have valuable contributions to make to the community. I'm not sure that plugging Pentax is one of them.

You are absolutely correct..But, please Google my name "Benjamin Kanarek"and you will find that most of the discussions are related to the art of photography followed by technique. I also have a small Yahoo Group called AFashionmode, where I attempt to guide photographers as well as embark on some rather interesting issues. I am also a Pop/Rock Music composer and Creative Director. So I have my hands full...

Please don't mingle physical sciences with this sort of discussion here ...else you might wake up the pro scientists on the forum ;)

I think most people in here value your contribtutions and your willingness to share part of your experience. :)

Just sometimes it seems like in addition to that you are on a mission, and part of that mission enters some of your posts which are about general photography.

I am not a pro photographer (which means I make my living from other sources of money), but when I post some of my work here I tell people maybe what sort of lens I used, what film I used, or if it was a digitial sensor. But I hardly ever tell people which brand name is printed on the camera body I used, because I think it simply does not matter.

Don't get me wrong, I myself never felt offended by any posts of yours. I also get your point that you try to tell that there is more in photography than two brand names only, and that noone should be discredited as a pro for not using those brands.
However, different from most other forums I know, this one here is not so brand-name-focussed anyway, that is one reason why I like this place.

On some other forums they wage real war about which brand is "the best" ... and they forget about photography in this discussion. Also film and digital people manage to coexist here, which again tells me this forum is about the image mainly.

OK...If you don't use the "N", "C", "O","S" "L" or "M" word, I won't use the "P" word...Deal?

OK...If you don't use the "N", "C", "O","S" "L" or "M" word, I won't use the "P" word...Deal?

Wow ,you had a lot of work replying to all those posts here ;)

.. and I have the feeling I wandered off track in my post and in the end forgot the message I had in mind in the beginning ... sorry, this is not my most concentrated of days ;)

Anyway, I think we should all see this rather relaxed .. and using the "P" word is certainly not prohibited.

Anyway, Hasselblad is nice, so I am glad you did not say don't use the "H" word :p

Wow ,you had a lot of work replying to all those posts here ;)

.. and I have the feeling I wandered off track in my post and in the end forgot the message I had in mind in the beginning ... sorry, this is not my most concentrated of days ;)

Anyway, I think we should all see this rather relaxed .. and using the "P" word is certainly not prohibited.

Anyway, Hasselblad is nice, so I am glad you did not say don't use the "H" word :p

Oh my goodness...How could I have forgotten the illustrious 'Blad...Sorry, and the "H" word...Am I missing any? I'm sure I am. Why don't we just call them "Catch a Photo Machines"?

CPMs is a nice term....! :p

You are absolutely correct..But, please Google my name "Benjamin Kanarek"and you will find that most of the discussions are related to the art of photography followed by technique. I also have a small Yahoo Group called AFashionmode, where I attempt to guide photographers as well as embark on some rather interesting issues. I am also a Pop/Rock Music composer and Creative Director. So I have my hands full...

Agreed. That's why I said you have some valuable contributions to make to the community. I, for one, am interested in what you have to say because my background is not in fashion, but in commercial product advertising photography.

Most reactions

Back