Let's say you lose all your photos

I have not backed up any of my stuff at all yet and I'll need to do that. I have all my stuff on one hard drive right now. I have over 4000 pictures there that I would hate to lose. If I lost them all, there would be no way to recreate them because most of them are of storms.:(

I have not backed up any of my stuff at all yet and I'll need to do that. I have all my stuff on one hard drive right now. I have over 4000 pictures there that I would hate to lose. If I lost them all, there would be no way to recreate them because most of them are of storms.:(

So then tell me, why on earth do you not backup?
A 500 GByte external drive only costs around 100 USD these days ... even if that is some money, I would prefer not to eat food for a week in order to get at least one backup of my data ...

So then tell me, why on earth do you not backup?
A 500 GByte external drive only costs around 100 USD these days ... even if that is some money, I would prefer not to eat food for a week in order to get at least one backup of my data ...

Lazyness is a deadly disease. Sad to say, but I could at least put them all on a couple of DVD's, but when I finally have time I'm usually not thinking about it or too lazy. Peniole & newrmdmike put me to shame. I have to say though in deffence at least I'm not making a living off of this or I would probably would weekly if not daily backup my stuff.

Lazyness is a deadly disease. Sad to say, but I could at least put them all on a couple of DVD's, but when I finally have time I'm usually not thinking about it or too lazy. Peniole & newrmdmike put me to shame. I have to say though in deffence at least I'm not making a living off of this or I would probably would weekly if not daily backup my stuff.

I gotta say that if I spend two hours working on some pictures, I backup.

I have to say though in deffence at least I'm not making a living off of this.

Neither am I. I'm just obsessive that way :p:D

Back them up man, it would really be a shame to lose your storms. I've seen some of them on here.

Thanks, I'll try to tonight, cause this thread scares me a bit. The other day my external hard drive that I have everything on discided to play a joke on me and not work for like 5 mins. I have never sweat that much in such a short amount of time. I NEED TO BACKUP EVERYTHING!!!

Most of mine are on my other computer which has died. The hard drive is ok, (I believe) so when I get round to getting a new PC I'll back them up on to this one.

The one on the dead PC has about two months worth that aren't backed up on an external HDD, and any that I've done for family and friends are backed up on DVD.

Last year I was on the verge of deleting them all anyways (apart from family shots of course) but didn't get round to it as another PC died with the same HDD in - must be telling me something!

Time for a fresh start

Since data can be recovered from any drive, CD etc., how can you lose all your photos? If it is really worth it, you recover your photos.

skieur

Since data can be recovered from any drive,

Partially true for harddrives:

You can get it recovered if:
- if only the FAT but no actual data got lost (like when you accidentally erased it) ... recovery can be painful though if data is heavily fragmented
- it is only the harddrives electronics / electrics / motor
- if it is a mechanical problem (can be more expensive since the sealed part might have to be opened)

You cannot recover:
- if the actual imagedata was wrecked by software going amok
- if you had a real headcrash with abrasion .. no chance here .. maybe some data can be recovered from areas far from the headcrash though.

... this list is by no means complete ...

you might be able to restore data here in some cases ... but degradation here can get to a point where actual bit-information cannot be read anymore by any means ... the data is gone then forever.

I'm sorry, but I always have to take these threads as an opportunity to plug the benefits of film.

Since data can be recovered from any drive, CD etc., how can you lose all your photos? If it is really worth it, you recover your photos.

skieur

Fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, theft... just to name a few.

I'm sorry, but I always have to take these threads as an opportunity to plug the benefits of film.

As long as you keep your negatives stored in a fireproof container that will keep temperatures low enough to not melt plastic film, that is...

I think the very first thing I would do is re-evaluate my backup strategy!

Truthfully though, if the worst happened, I think there are places I would want to go back to simply because I had done them to death and starting fresh presents new opportunities.

I will never stop exploring new places, though. A lot of photography, for me, is the experience.

Wow, really interesting comments. I have to agree that backing up is important.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back