Let's say you lose all your photos

Hi!

You can never shoot a lost photo again. There will always be different things. So I'd say - go to take new ones.

And ALWAYS backup your important photos. ALWAYS. To CDs, DVDs, external disk, e-mail servers... do even more than one copy to each backup, and keep it on a friend's house (where even if something will happan to your house, you'd have your works handy).

Yaad

Several years ago I lost my 3d animation projects, music, etc.. on my PC , first time shame on windows, second time shame on me :)

I have gotten a bit smarter since then and now I have the following workflow:

Aperture Library stored in my pictures (basicly an uncompressed archive of your photo's)

Backed up to a external HD via apertures vault feature

Backed up to an online server automatically every 3 hours, I backup the uncompressed library here, so I can restore a single file/archive and open it as if nothing happened. I also update the online backup after every camera import. (so easy, just 2 clicks lol)

I use mozy.com for the backups, seems to work very well, im using the beta for the mac. i've pulled several files for testing and all are ok. (no crashed yet on the mac...knock on wood!!)

I don't have the biggest photo collection but if I lost my photos I would be really sad :(

This, my friends, is one of the few reasons why I am glad I shoot film.

Really? I think I have a lump of celluloid or two left from the fire I could send you. They don't fit in the enlarger anymore, that's for sure. Of course the old Beleler 67 Dichro leans a lot to one side now. Or at least it did. :cry:

That is why I have my photos on a hard drive, an internal backup hard drive and an external backup hard drive, plus I keep a copy of every raw file on archival quality DVD's and CD's locked in the bank box. If blue ray takes off I will probably add that as well.

Oh noes! A lump of celluloid???? How does that even happen?????I thought negatives archive for like an infinite amount of years as long as you keep them in those plastic thingies and keep them away from heat?

I scan all my negatives onto CDs as well. And onto my hard drive too.

I don't have much to lose; I'm a total newbie as a photographer. And I didn't get into it becasue I wanted the photos really; I got into it because I thought it would help me improve my eye (and it's working).

So I'd take similar shots of things I have a need for (such as images I've incorporated into my teaching), and I'd go back to those places I just want to experience again. The rest would be no great loss.

I guess my mother's still with me. I remember her explanation of why she didn't have any photos of her wedding or early years of their marriage -- the photos were all ruined in a flood. She was adamant that that was the last time in her life she ever cried over *things*; because when it comes down to it things are not worth tears.

Oh noes! A lump of celluloid???? How does that even happen?????I thought negatives archive for like an infinite amount of years as long as you keep them in those plastic thingies and keep them away from heat?

I scan all my negatives onto CDs as well. And onto my hard drive too.

When the building is on fire, lots of things change shape and their usefulness declines rapidly. :D

Fortunately for me, I'm just a hobbist, so the loss was for the most part memories.

1971- I lost almost all of my negatives in a house fire. Viet Nam anti-war negs, street negs- all gone.

1975- Ist wife burns 100 rolls of un-processed film straight out of my freezer. She does this right in front of me in a drunken rage.

I cannot duplicate what I have lost. You just keep on shooting and don't worry the small stuff.

Life is a ***** sometimes......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back