Lets see your Packs & Hard Cases. - How do you Protect your Gear?

This doesn't have to do with bags, but it made me think of it with all the "tips".
I was told to put black electrician tape across the brand name on my camera and lens cap as well as the model number so people when looking at you using your camera think it's a no-name cheap brand and look for another target where they see what they want - example Nikon D200

I was told to put black electrician tape across the brand name on my camera and lens cap as well as the model number so people when looking at you using your camera think it's a no-name cheap brand and look for another target where they see what they want - example Nikon D200

that's a good point, except for when thieves know the real value of many cameras and will recognize them without the help of their name on them.

what i actually do is to put the camera in my non-camera bag, as simple as that. i just carry it normally, since the camera is hard enough to resist. this is my option: no plastic cameras, and thus you will only need to protect the front of the lens. that's all

as for travelling, either with me all the time, in my bag with the rest of the things (they are the ones damaged, never the camera ;) ), or in my suitcase, "wrapped" with my clothes. what do i need expensive camera cases for!

by the way, and following with the tips, one photography book that i have says that "a well known professional photographer used to carry his equipment in groceries-paper bags, to distract the attention from his expensive gear" -this is precisely my point: get a solid camera and will resist and last longer than any bag!

I got my Pelican 1450 Case with Padded Dividers today.
Very pleased. I have quite a few Pelican cases, and this one is my biggest yet.
This was my first experience with the padded dividers, but I wanted to try them out, they seemed more versatile than plucking or cutting foam to one particular configuration.
It was nice to be able to move the dividers around until I had it the way I wanted it.
IMG_4761.sized.jpg

IMG_4761_001.sized.jpg

Click here for larger version.

The 1450 turned out to be the PERFECT size for what I wanted.
Its just small enough not to feel huge, but holds what I wanted to cram in it.
I can see I will have to sacrifice the Vidcam for Telephoto lens room later on.
Oh well, it has its own Pelican case anyway ;)
IMG_0023.sized.jpg

Only one drawback I can see to this....
Can anyone say, "All your eggs in one basket" ?

~John

Most reactions

Back