let's talk about the new EOS 60D...

fredricfei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well, what do you guys think about the 60D especially about its plastic shell? I know the new plastic shell disappointed lot of fans...as I've never used a camera made by metal, I'm curious weather the metal shell is IMPORTANT? (I got a EOS 1N,but this top camera was also covered by plastic shell) :confused:

The plastic really doesn't make a difference.

Here's a fun look at the build quality of some old entry level cameras (despite the name, he uses a D70 and 400D): Nikon D90 vs Canon 550D Destruction Test - DigitalRev.com

Unless you are seriously throwing this thing up against walls, it's going to be fine. If anything is going to break, the buttons, screen, dials, etc. will all go long before the body under normal use.

60D is optimized towards movies, if you don't care about movies that much, it's kinda useless as an upgrade from a t2i/t1i or even 50D.

The plastic really doesn't make a difference.

Here's a fun look at the build quality of some old entry level cameras (despite the name, he uses a D70 and 400D): Nikon D90 vs Canon 550D Destruction Test - DigitalRev.com

Unless you are seriously throwing this thing up against walls, it's going to be fine. If anything is going to break, the buttons, screen, dials, etc. will all go long before the body under normal use.
I cringed and could barely watch when he started using the lens on the nails.

The plastic shell doesn't bother me as much as the smaller size. I don't know how much smaller but if it is as small as the XXXD line then it's totally out of the question. Also, it seems they eliminated the PC sync port. I don't use mine much but I have had to in the past in a pinch when the radio trigger didn't work. I've also had to use it when shooting near an airport, must have been radio interference because my strobes were firing like crazy...

I had been waiting for this announcement for a while to decide if I would upgrade/crossgrade my 40D to this or pony up for the 7D. Looks like I'll be saving a little longer.

Travis

Last edited:
The elimination of the PC sync port, and the addition of a boatload of scene modes, plus the switch to SD card memory, and the new, smaller body size, and the new battery and battery grip mean that the new 60D is not really a "member" of the old lineup of XXD cameras that came before...this is now a camera aimed a bit above the T2i, but below the 7D. The new 60D has a swing-out LCD screen, and improved video capture...it's aimed right at the high end of the consumer market...

I think it is going to sell pretty well. The 60D's main competition will be similarly-priced Nikon and Sony cameras, like the D90's follow-up camera,and whichever multitudinous Sony models are flooding the market. Sony has a passel of lower-priced s-slr models, so many that people can hardly keep track of them.

The chassis material will be totally irrelevant to most buyers...plastic, aluminum, magnesium...it doesn't matter to the buyers who are hanging 7-ounce to 1-pound lenses off the front of $549 to $1,000 cameras. The chassis material is mainly a bragging rights thing for consumers, and a way that manufacturer's can keep profits higher and keep costs lower for consumers who are,for the most part, going to be treating their cameras respectfully. I think the 60D will sell pretty well in its intended segment of the market, unless Sony or Nikon come up with something that's super-compelling and price it very similarly. Now, if the Sony and or Nikon competitor models really blow...Canon might have a runaway sales hit on its hands.

I favor the metal body myself and the 60D not having it is a major turn off. Not to say I wont get one, but its a strike against it and a good size one at that. I like the rugedness and weight of the 50D. When I use say a rebel I always feel like its going to break in my hands, they just feel weak and fragile. Nikon does a far better job on there plastic body's but still no match to my 50D.

The magnesium alloy underbody on my 30D and 5D's is very solid. I haven't held a 60D, so I can't say how I feel about that. No PC port is kind of a drag, and the SD memory means I would most likely not buy it, since I have almost 50GB in CompactFlash at this point. I like the tilt out screen, though-that's pretty cool.

there's already a huge thread about this in the quipment review section

The lack of PC sync port is almost moot at this point since it has built in wireless flash command through the pop up (same as the 7D). And if for some reason you don't want to use this free built-in feature and don't want expensive Canon brand triggers, you could easily pick up some 10$ wireless radio triggers off ebay.

I got the Canon 20D recently (which has a metal body.)
I also have the 450D which is a plastic body.

Having a metal body is SO much better! it feels better and has more weight (good thing.) but the pop-up flash is plastic still :(
SO... I know, I wouldn't use the 60D, now that I have the metal body, I don't think I could buy another plastic body!.

I have a Rebel XTi and was considering upgrading to the 60D. Thoughts?

^ ask yourself, Why do you want to upgrade?

because it is the newest "best" one yet?

or because you like video more so than photography.

if your reason is because it is the newest yet, then I say, do not do it!
but if it is because you prefer the video, the flip screen and stuff like that, then go ahead!

I can attest to the ruggedness of the plastic body Canons. I've had my 300D for a couple years now and it's certainly been used and abused. I wouldn't let the plastic body scare you away if that's your only issue.

When I was gettin' my 500D I could have picked a 50D instead. I tried both cameras and decided on a 500D instead. I don't know why it's such a big deal for all the folks to have a "metal" body. Yeah it's better built because it's metal but who drops their camera around so that it breaks?

For me the biggest factor was camera mobility, and for that I picked 500D. It's smaller than the 50D due to the absence of the top LCD (which is useless for me, thanks to the viewfinder/rear LCD). 50D is a LOT heavier and bulkier than 500D which makes it bad for carrying around your neck for 5-6 hours a day. A friend of mine picked up 50D instead, and now she regrets it because it's too heavy.

And besides slightly higher fps, other spec considerations are too minor between the two.

60D is interesting for now, but Canon keeps coming out with more "rebels" every year. We'll have to wait and see what they will come out with next.

Most reactions

Back