Let's Talk Ballheads -- Really Right Stuff?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, while my vanguard SBH100 does well enough, it's really kinda lame. I can rarely use it for verticals as it shakes a lot (especially when a leg is in the stream/river/ocean), and it's lock isn't very sure. What I REALLY want is a proper L-bracket and arca swiss compatible head. But the real question is, is there a big difference between the $400 Really Right Stuff BH-40 and the $200 3LT ball head? I want quality, as I use my tripod for about 80% of my shooting. I'm not to worried about the legs for now, as they are sturdy enough.

Really Right Stuff BH-40
Mid-sized ballhead with B2-40 LR clamp

3LeggedThing AirHead
3 Legged Thing AirHed 1 Magnesium Alloy Ball Head (Blue)

Or, are there any other options available? Anything you suggest?

Jake

Nobody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use SLIK stuff .. but people say it's not pro caliber .. so what do I know.

My one ball head a model Slik Ball Head 800 which has a circular plate sucks the big one.
My other one which has a rectangular plate is rock solid SBH-320 is fantastic.

But I know there are better ones out there.
I also have a SLIK professional with one of the 3-way heads for LargeFormat cameras. That one is rock steady too.

Going with the L bracket would be really nice as you maintain the lens location while rotating. But it's one of the luxury things for me right now.
Food vs L bracket ... mmmmm .....

ooh .. ignore the "sucks the big one" if you are looking to buy a 800, as I'm selling mine. In that case it has alot of positive attributes. :)

I've seen some good reviews of Three Legged Thing, but aside from that, I know nothing about them. I can't imagine however that they could be a patch on RRS gear.

I have Slik legs with a Manfrotto head, which for me is a good combination of weight and function. If you want sturdy, RRS seems an excellent choice.

I've seen some good reviews of Three Legged Thing, but aside from that, I know nothing about them. I can't imagine however that they could be a patch on RRS gear.

I know they can't hold a flame to RRS... but being twice the price, it's hard for me to justify... I would love input from anyone who owns RRS and has used others. Is it worth double?

Have you tired shooting without your battery grip? Less weight and lower center of gravity.

Have you tired shooting without your battery grip? Less weight and lower center of gravity.

Honestly, no. I ALWAYS leave it on... haha.

I take my battery grip off most of the time when on the tripod.
Just less weight to jiggle around.

I've also looked into those rotating brackets --> http://www.adorama.com/LHRCB.html

Last edited:
I'm with runnah. I've taken my grips off, well, because I had to. It's been way too hot yet to get out, and my shoulder is coming along, slowly. But I'm getting ancy after 6 weeks of sitting in the house! So I put each setup on the tripod, the 5D with a 50 1.4 and the 7D with a 17-55, and it is a LOT lighter. It knocked 2lbs off of each without grips + smaller lenses. I can almost handhold the 5D3 with no grip and that lens! Try it and see what you think. Maybe save some coin.

I'm with runnah. I've taken my grips off, well, because I had to. It's been way too hot yet to get out, and my shoulder is coming along, slowly. But I'm getting ancy after 6 weeks of sitting in the house! So I put each setup on the tripod, the 5D with a 50 1.4 and the 7D with a 17-55, and it is a LOT lighter. It knocked 2lbs off of each without grips + smaller lenses. I can almost handhold the 5D3 with no grip and that lens! Try it and see what you think. Maybe save some coin.

I'm all for saving monies!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back