Lets talk lenses(Nikon D5000)

Super zooms, by necessity, are a stacked series of design compromises that all have a negative effect on image quality.

A super zoom is a lens that has a 10x, or more, focal range.

The 18-270mm Tamron is 15x.

Anybody shoot primarily sports with a telephoto zoom?.....I don't have the money for a f/2.8 (I shoot with a Canon XSi), so what is the next best lens out there (100-300 or 100-400 mm)?

I've heard Sigma can have trouble focusing at times which would be a problem shooting sports.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

I've been reading the reviews on some sites and the tamrom is not looking so good any more. The similar sigma is not looking good either

I'm going on a field trip class to the local mini-safari where I live and a rep from Tamron will be there allowing use of various lenses. I've been reading about lenses as that is the area of my next few purchases. I'm looking forward to being able to use them before considering purchase.

wow great thread... i have the same canon and went to the same Nikon.. now i know i am not the only one with this problem.. and now i know what to do about it..thanks

Anybody shoot primarily sports with a telephoto zoom?.....I don't have the money for a f/2.8 (I shoot with a Canon XSi), so what is the next best lens out there (100-300 or 100-400 mm)?

I've heard Sigma can have trouble focusing at times which would be a problem shooting sports.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

100-400 f/4 IS L $1600

Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 APO DG HSM

Daytime field sports, mostly soccer:

BigmaD90.jpg

I use a second body with a shorter lens (24-85) mounted for close in shots.

I had the exact same problem, or issue. I went with a Sigma 18-250mm 3.5/6.3 OS for my walk around lens, works quite well.

p!nK

Let talk about lens baby, lets talk about you and.....sorry had an episode there....continue....:lmao:

I Have the same d5000 with the same lenses that you have. I found a really good deal on the Nikon 18-200mm and haven't looked back. Check around CL and locally you can get a good deal. Before I bought that I was looking at the tamron 18-270mm and the sigma 18-250mm there both around ~ $550. The nikon has a 11x zoom equivalent witch was really nice coming from the 4.3x zoom of the 55-200mm.

I'm confused. the 55-200 and the 18-200 are both DX series lenses. They should be optically the same(from 55-200).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back