Levels query

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I have seen auto levels take an average looking shot and make it look great - especially adding depth to a photo. However whilst I can watch what the computer does with auto levels I don't really understand how to effectivly control the levels myself - say when auto fails to get a desired result or introduces a new problem of its own to a photo.

So any advice welcome
ps - I use photoshop elements 6

Google will turn up plenty of good hits for this.

Here is a Levels page I found. click

The best way with something like levels it to play with it and watch the results. I never use the auto settings as I like to understand what's happening and why...not much to learn from having it do it for you.

A standard way I go about starting with levels is to move the left and right arrows to very near the first part of data in the image (where you start to see the black going upwards) and then fine tune from there.

You may want to consider also looking at curves at the sametime as the two go pretty much hand in hand I find.

And always use smart filters if you can because then it's non-destructive and you can tweak and play to your hearts content. Many times I've gone back months later and re-tweaked.

Regards,
Peter Witham

Ok this is going to sound simple, but the help file in elements is appaling in content (the back of the box has more info!) but does photoshop elements have curves and is so where are they?
I have heard of curves for a long while and yet never seen the option for them in elements - might be I am just missing them.

Also = thanks for the info both 0 I have been playing a little more with levels - mostly looking at how the computer does them and then some playing around myself

I can only answer the elemts question depending on which elements you have you may have curves or you may not, I think the newer versions have it I have version 4 and I didnt have curves but I did download a curves add on for elements and it works ok-although im still learning about it

neat link = thanks Rachel!
I found curves - hiding in enhance - colour adjuct - curves.
Now for something new to try and master!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back