LF tips for wedding shoot.

My friend has asked me to photograph his wedding and although I've been to numerous ones, I've never actually been the primary photographer.

I will be using friends D3s with 14-24 and 24-70 f/2.8 zooms and my 5d3 with 70-200. I will also have 3 flashes total, 2 910's with some stands, and 600 RT + some wireless triggers.

I am just looking for whatever helpful input I can get on how to do this right. I'll be shootig indoors only so we're looking at 3200 iso at f/2.8

As my primary plan, I was going to setup one flash near the podium with the newly married couple, another flash in the back of the hall for extra soft light, and have one of the flashes on the camera.

I was going to use the 14-24 for shots of people at tables, 24-70 for general shots of guests and the couple and 70-200 during the ceremony and for close up portrait shots. Does this even seem right?

Should I try to use lowest iso possible and always f/2.8 or try and push it?

Try to use your flash more and ISO less to prevent as much noise as possible. Lots of post work for weddings so you want to minimize it if possible which you should be able to easily with all your gear. Try to keep a lot of shots between 2.8 - 4. They will be more aesthetically appealing. Use backlighting for group portraits.

But this is all technical junk you could figure out quick. What you really need to do is study other peoples wedding photography and get ideas for poses and other shots you want to get. Posing is key for many shots.

One other thought, have you looked into just renting a second 5d mark iii or or maybe a ii? This would be easier on post. If you dont have the nikon codec you would have to convert everything to dng. You woud already have the canon codec.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back