Licensing images for personal Christmas cards, help...

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A have some family portrait sessions coming up, and invariably some will ask for images to make Christmas cards.

How do I deal with this?

They might want to print at home or they might want to take it to a design house to make cards. I feel I need to hand over a digital negative for a fee--the digital negative will be resized to around 4x6. There isn't any way for me to prevent them from making prints from the file, but at least they cannot print good looking 8x10's or larger. Anyways, if I go this route, and say I charge $18 for a 5x7 normally, I would charge $25 for the resized digital negative intended for personal greeting card reproduction.

Any thoughts on this? On a different workflow? Pricing? Or whatever?

Thanks, everyone.

Have you considered designing the cards for them and getting them printed some place like White House Custom Colour?
It is another service you can offer and make money from it.

Have you considered designing the cards for them and getting them printed some place like White House Custom Colour?
It is another service you can offer and make money from it.

That's a good idea, but I'm planning on doing about twenty sittings in a span of a week, so I'll be backed up with post-production for a while, and doing greeting card design and fulfillment might push me over the edge.

You could buy some pre-designed cards and add your pictures.
there are lots of places to get great designs at good prices

Most reactions

New Topics

Back