Licensing/Pricing a Very Large Outdoor Display

huongtranbong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was contacted by a 'non-profit museum'. They are interested in one of my wildlife images for their re-designed outdoor display. It's going to be around 22' x 16' (yes feet). They have a company that makes the display, they just need the file.
Any idea on how much to charge?

Depends... how long do they want to use the image? How much traffic will it get? Do you get credit on the image? These factors would all have an impact for me, as would the meaning of the quotation marks around "non-profit museum". If this was an organization that I wanted to support, I would probably let them have it for a couple of hundred dollars... alternatively, it could easily go to several thousand.

... as would the meaning of the quotation marks around "non-profit museum". If this was an organization that I wanted to support, I would probably let them have it for a couple of hundred dollars...

I really don't agree with the idea of discounting your licensing fee because you support a specific .org. Charge your regular rate and then donate the cash back to the organization. (if you really want to) This is the way groups such as ASMP suggest.

For a while I had access to the true inner workings of non-profits and I can tell you in their upper echelon circles they know creatives are apt to be taken (yes that bluntly) Do you really think they can pull on the heartstrings of the printer or labors that will need to install the banner?

Depending upon where the museum is and who they are, this is a time I would go to Getty price out a RM image for their requested usage and not baulk at the price suggested. I've had a couple images put up on the sides of buildings and suppling their printer with a good usable file will take a bit of time on your part. I agree with tirederon that it should be licensed for at least a couple thousand, but more details such as length of time, whom, where, and any other usage such as a website or brochure really need to be answered first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back