LICENSING QUESTION... PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks Patrick... I'm going to respond to the offer tomorrow and give myself some time to think tonight... They mentioned istockphoto.com and I think this is where they are coming up with the number.

You could use any image from iStock at $1 and up for this project. Now, if they don't want something from there and absolutely want yours, you can ask what you want. You'll have to figure out where the balance of 'we really want it' vs 'not at that price' is.

Because of the digital image explosion, companies are able to approach inexperienced photographers and get good images at a fraction of their worth.

Many photographers are short on business acumen. Salesmanship skills and negotiating skills are a big part of making money from your photographs.

SO HERE IS A COPY OF THE EMAIL I SENT THE BANK (1st reply)

Thank you for your quick reply and details on the images and potential cards. They look great.

So, I have a few questions:

1.) What is the marketing budget for this campaign?

2.) What is the time frame of the license you are seeking? Are you looking for exclusive rights, or non-exclusive?

3.) How many cards are going to be offered?

4.) Who makes the final decision on the price set for the image? Is that you, or someone else?

5.) Will the image only be used on the credit/debit cards? Or do you want to use it on brochures and the website as well?

6.) Would my image be one of the more heavily promoted cards due to it's regional influence?

Don't be surprised that the offers are lower than you are expecting or wanting, if you can get between $1000-1500 be happy with that. You may find that they would be more willing to offer you between $500-750. As an individual and not an agency they will only negotiate to a certain point and if a fee isn't worked out to their likes, they will simply find another photo from someone else. That is the nature of business these days.

So many photos available and everyone wants cheap.

I worked for 3 banks. They ate notoriously cheap. That us why you see the same stock photos at multiple banks used on brochures/posters.

Everything has a budget that us approved then audited at the end. So price negotiation is tight. I've even seen them send interns out with cameras instead.

So stick to your guns. Ask a fair price but don't be sad if they pass and go someplace else.

If the bank had large pockets you would have been contacted by the ad/design agency that services them.

They will either move on to another cheaper image or try to re-create your shot (if possible). If you want to walk away with something, asking $1000.00, but being prepared to take 750.00 may get it done. Anything more than that increases the odds of them balking, IMHO. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back