Life can be beautiful with its surprises

ryanwaff

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today, for want of a better thing to do instead of homework, I took my nifty 50 on my d90 with the aim of taking some macro's in the garden...

What with spring just beginning, this was a bit hopeful of me. However, just as I was about to give up, I heard this sort of warning call from behind me and turned to find a 'Spotted dikkop' (bird below) giving my dog a warning to move away from its nest.

I live in a major city, and seeing a Spotted Dikkop for us in the city is very rare. SO having now spotted the bird, I had a problem, i only had my 50mm prime lens on, so I quickly ran inside to grab my 55-200 and luckily when I came back, they were still there. :)

I was so excited at this rare sighting that I was struggling to hold myself steady :)

$_DSC4898.jpg

Luckily the Dikkop was still warning my dog, so I was able to get this shot :D

It was quite dark so I used a speedlight to fill in the shadows.

• F/stop:5.6
  • Shutter speed: 1/125sec,
  • Exposure compensation: +1ev and
  • ISO speed: 500

C&C would be greatly appreciated :D

Last edited:
I am not qualified to give you c&c on that but clicking on the picture and looking at the blown up version, all i have is WOW! Is that a kit lens 55-200 for Nikon? That picture is really sharp.

Well done. Getting down on it's level really makes it a great photo.

What a cool bird. I think it is a great pic. I wouldnt mind seeing one version with the eye in focus, instead of the wings just to compare. The wings are super cool though, so I dont know which would be better.

Lovely photo! It has a really good feeling of immediacy and of "being right there"! Well-done!

"I am not qualified to give you c&c on that but clicking on the picture and looking at the blown up version, all i have is WOW! Is that a kit lens 55-200 for Nikon? That picture is really sharp."

Yes it is the kit lens, DX 55-200 1:4-5.6 G ED VR

"Well done. Getting down on it's level really makes it a great photo."

Thanks very much :D

"What a cool bird. I think it is a great pic. I wouldnt mind seeing one version with the eye in focus, instead of the wings just to compare. The wings are super cool though, so I dont know which would be better."

Thanks :D I think I have one with the eyes in focus, Ill look through the images and get back to you :D

"Lovely photo! It has a really good feeling of immediacy and of "being right there"! Well-done!"

Thank you very much Derrel :)

$Warning.jpg

Here is a shot of the Dikkop from the front :)
And another from the side :)

$_DSC4893.jpg

Personally I prefer the very first one, what do you guys think? :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back