Life is not happy, and that sucks...

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why must everything be a challenge?

Why must others succeed while I fail?

Why must I lack the inner strength to fix it?

Life is not fun, and I wish it was.

Sigh.

I comfort myself by telling myself that the "perfect" people all have secret drug problems/affairs/cheat on taxes.

I wish I knew you better, jw, so I'd know whether an encouraging word and a "c'mon you can do it" is in order here, or whether it's a swift kick in the patootie you need, or just someone to come in and call an end to the pity party. :lmao:

Since I don't know you personally, I'll just say...been there, felt that. All of it. Biggest thing that helps me get past it is FOCUS. What DOES bring you joy? What gives you a sense of purpose? Surely there's something positive you can focus on and pour yourself into to help get your mind off the rest for a while.

Also, a very smart guy once told me the BEST way to get out of the doldrums is to take your eyes OFF yourself and go do something for someone else. Again, FOCUS. This time, though, it's about taking the focus OFF of YOU and putting it ON others. Start finding others you can help, and it really does help!

If NONE of that helps...seek help. Seriously. I've been THERE before too. Spent TOO many years in clinical depression without seeking help. But they make some really GOOD drugs these days... :lol:
I haven't needed to be on any of them in over five years now, WOOT!, but if I started feeling like ^^THAT^^ again, I'd get back on them in a heartbeat!!

Also, a very smart guy once told me the BEST way to get out of the doldrums is to take your eyes OFF yourself and go do something for someone else. Again, FOCUS. This time, though, it's about taking the focus OFF of YOU and putting it ON others. Start finding others you can help, and it really does help!

Sorry you're feeling this way, jw. I have to second sm4him - I have a tendency to be very self absorbed and when I get that way, even though I become quite productive, I also get quite unhappy. So I have to constantly check myself and force myself to look and think outside of myself. Hope you get your answers!

You're just going through your mid-life crisis. Hold on.... your second childhood is right around the corner! :lol:

There are times when I feel that way, I try not to compare myself to others, to be grateful for the good things in my life. There's always someone who can do things better, there are always those that can't. Focus on the positive and work toward your goals. Failure is only a stepping stone to success.

There are a few thing I have found helped me get through these sorts of times in my life.

No matter how bad things get just keep reminding yourself, it is only temporary. But never forget that sometimes things must get worse before they can get better.

It is the struggle that will make you strong.

Thanks. It's just one of those days when it feels like everything is coming down on me at once. My firm is likely to be acquired in the next few months and I think that means that I'm out of work. I'm hoping other opportunities come along pronto because I could be in a really bad spot...

My brother just got divorced and may be facing some other legal troubles.

It's just one thing after the next, and I'm starting to feel the pinch.

Deep breath....

:hug::

Stay prepared. Life likes to kick when you are down. You just gotta keep rollin' with the punches and no matter what don't take your gloves off. Not yet.

Hang in there.

God called all the creatures into one place. To the lion he said I will give you teeth to hunt with, to the Cheetah, he said speed is your gift. The fish got fins. the animals one by one got their gifts. Man being last said " What is left for me, you have give all away. God replied," You have the best gift. You are an embryo, YOUR GIFT IS THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO GROW AND LEARN FOREVER ".
. Life will surprise and reward you. Sometimes a little hardship, helps mold a better person. I wish you the best Ed

Its pretty hard for me to feel TOO bad about my life...
Every third day i am reminded it isn't nearly as bad as it could be.

The Power of Positive Thinking is not a myth or just some cute saying. Try it sometime, but be willing to be patient for any change.

Self-fulfilling prophecies work in the same manner, however, they tend to react more quickly.

In early 2009, I suspected my then-wife was having an affair, with somebody who was supposed to be a friend of mine, no less. The “smoking gun” came in the form of a DNA test that proved I was not the father of our 3 month-old daughter. Wife left as soon as I brought home the report (without even asking to see it), and I never saw the child again. Two months later I was laid off when the economy tanked.

If I didn’t have such amazing family and friends to carry me through it, I don’t know what I would have done.

You go through things like that, and you learn in a big hurry what really matters in life.

Large salaries and flashy material things are not it, and comparing yourself to others is a deadly trap. All of that seemed so stupid and insignificant after my ordeal, so I just stopped caring about how much money so-and-so makes and what kind of sports car they drive. It’s hard to describe how liberating it is, so now I quite literally preach it like a religion to anybody who cares to listen.

My father always used to tell me, "Son, these are the times that make you mentally tough."

When I was young, I thought he was full of ****. Now that I am older, I see the wisdom in those simple words.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back