Life's a Beach... with some big piece of lumber on it.

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C welcome and appreciated as always. :)

Florida Trip 2009 - Ocean Scenes - 017.jpg

No interest in this one either, I guess?

Looks like I'm running through your posts at the right time!

I'm not in the gallery. I was just at your statistics page and I'm looking at your recently started threads.

I like the composition, with the sand, water, sky creating blocks of colour on the thirds. I've been looking at a lot of paintings lately, and I'm appreciating what a visually satisfying effect that is.

I also think that you've exposed the scene superbly. The value range runs completely from dark black through highlights that aren't blown.

Now here's my particular idiosyncracy:

I would try to select the closer portion of the timber, copy it onto its own layer, and then try unsharp mask or 'smart sharpen' on that one bit of the timber. Maybe then using a mask with a gradient so that the sharpened bit blends with the farther section.

And thank you for not putting a vignette around the edges. :mrgreen:

Looks like I'm running through your posts at the right time!

Well, assuming you're looking for quantity, yeah. :lol: I haven't posted images in a bit, and this week I had a flurry of them. :)

I'm not in the gallery. I was just at your statistics page and I'm looking at your recently started threads.

I like the composition, with the sand, water, sky creating blocks of colour on the thirds. I've been looking at a lot of paintings lately, and I'm appreciating what a visually satisfying effect that is.

I also think that you've exposed the scene superbly. The value range runs completely from dark black through highlights that aren't blown.

Now here's my particular idiosyncracy:

I would try to select the closer portion of the timber, copy it onto its own layer, and then try unsharp mask or 'smart sharpen' on that one bit of the timber. Maybe then using a mask with a gradient so that the sharpened bit blends with the farther section.

And thank you for not putting a vignette around the edges. :mrgreen:

I'm glad you like the shot. It seemed like a good sort of composition to me, but I wasn't sure if it would "speak to anyone".

Your idea is interesting. I'll definitely play with it. One of my thoughts has been that something in the shot wasn't popping, and after your comments I'm wondering if it was the timber/beam thing.

Thanks for the thoughts! If I do a re-do, I'll post it back up here.

It's definitely a pleasing image to my eye! Such beautiful shades of blue in the sky and water, with the frothy whitecaps breaking up all that blue and adding some 'tension'. I like the way it's divided into thirds. The piece of lumber directs one's eye into the shot and adds some more visual interest. Lots of nice 'lines' and balance

Thanks, guys, very much. I appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the picture.

I'm going to take this a different direction...

I like the shot but I feel its being limited. Almost like I'm looking through a window but unable to see the rest of the beach. It's like the wood is telling me there's something just off the edge of the photo that I want to see but can't.. I feel like the subject of interest was cut out of the shot.

I really don't know what I would to do fix it though.. maybe different angle on the wood and do a landscape shot?

However, you caught some brilliant colors!

I'm going to take this a different direction...

I like the shot but I feel its being limited. Almost like I'm looking through a window but unable to see the rest of the beach. It's like the wood is telling me there's something just off the edge of the photo that I want to see but can't.. I feel like the subject of interest was cut out of the shot.

I really don't know what I would to do fix it though.. maybe different angle on the wood and do a landscape shot?

However, you caught some brilliant colors!

That's an interesting perspective. I appreciate you sharing it.

However, that was literally the most interesting thing on that beach. :lol: The place was really simple... sand, water, people, large stick of wood with a shiny nail in it. :lol:

Thanks for the comments.

That's an interesting perspective. I appreciate you sharing it.

However, that was literally the most interesting thing on that beach. :lol: The place was really simple... sand, water, people, large stick of wood with a shiny nail in it. :lol:

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sure that's true :mrgreen: I was just explaining how I perceived the picture :p

I'm sure that's true :mrgreen: I was just explaining how I perceived the picture :p

And I do genuinely appreciate it. I mainly thought it was funny because I was thinking "man this beach sucks for pictures" when I was taking that shot. :lol:

i like the photo
it lacks punch for me - maybe some contrasting?

Thanks, everyone.

i like the photo
it lacks punch for me - maybe some contrasting?

Interesting notion- I don't really have any true blacks in there I don't think. Lemme try it and see.

Most reactions

Back