Light & Composition - Critiques Please

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am new here and I was wondering if you might be willing to give me some feedback on the light and set up of this photo. It wasn't exactly planned - meaning my Basset Hound was up and looking out the window when my niece came up and hugged her - I grabbed my camera without looking at anything (settings) and snapped the shot.

I know the sun is reflecting off the top of her head - how do you handle that? or just let it be 'as is'?

Any suggestions and/or comments are appreciated.

DSC_0367-1.jpg

A little fill light would have helped here, but as it's already been shot you might look at a little bit of dodging on her face to lighten it, while maybe burning in her hair slightly.

Something along these lines (rough edit)

that one looks fake almost, a little over done i'd say but in the right direction

that one looks fake almost, a little over done i'd say but in the right direction

There is something funny going on with the color profiles somewhere, but IMO it looks like there was a gold reflector being used.

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions - I can see where you enhanced the "gold tones" in the retouched version - I like it but like jwsciontc said it looks a little fake, overdone - I sort of agree. This was totally taken at the last minute - both the dog and my niece were just in the right place at the right time and, I called my dog's name - they both looked and I snapped the shutter.

I realized the colors to me, look like they should be richer, which is what I saw in the photo that tsaraleski modified for me. I happen to like the fact that people more professional than I can show me what they would do to enhance my photos (hence, my photos are ok to edit! :eek:) )

Again, many thanks for the suggestions!

here's my attempt at it. not to knock your methods tsaraleksi, but i agree that it does look "overdone" or fake

keyvys.jpg

the face just looks to have an orange-ish hue to it to me. maybe that's what it would look like with a gold reflector, but i've never used one so i wouldn't know.

I guess your camera did not default to RAW or this thread would not exist? Please excuse me if it is film. -Shea

Oftentimes when you use a fill light it can look unnatural or weird to the eye if it's overdone... tsar did say it was a rough edit though... just to give an idea.

To OP: Obviously the key here is to try and get the light coming more towards the "face" of the subject, and to try to avoid harsh extremes of light within the frame if possible. (these things aren't always possible, and the cost is blown out highlights and/or super dark shadows, but given what you had I think the image is nice in the end.)

FWIW I really like the shot as is, the light is blowing out her hair and the shot could do with a little pp to improve but you've caught what photography is all about imo, you've captured a memory, a moment in time. Its good. H

I guess your camera did not default to RAW or this thread would not exist? Please excuse me if it is film. -Shea

Please pardon my ignorance as I am new here and to photography - but I'm not sure what your comment means. This is not a film camera, I shoot with a Nikon D70s Digital SLR - moving up to a D90 in a few months (need to pay off my new Nikkor f/2.8 80-200mm lens I just bought first).

If you could explain this it would be helpful - thank you!

Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions! And to manaheim and Flash Harry for your kind and helpful comments! Every piece of information is extremely helpful to me at this point. I appreciate the input!

goodoneian edit is very nice and natural and fixes the underexposed areas rather than overexposes them.

i think it looks great, the light is just right

Most reactions

New Topics

Back