Light leaks color film

Ronnier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Three out of 5 rolls I shoot with a point and shoot traditional camera have what appears to be light leaks in the first 3-4 frames. They are red blotches, primarily around the edges of the frame. It does not look like the fogging from airport x-ray as shown on the kodak website. I used Kodak 400 film. Any thoughts as to the source of my problem?

Three out of 5 rolls I shoot with a point and shoot traditional camera have what appears to be light leaks in the first 3-4 frames. They are red blotches, primarily around the edges of the frame. It does not look like the fogging from airport x-ray as shown on the kodak website. I used Kodak 400 film. Any thoughts as to the source of my problem?

Three quick ones.

The film was loaded in bright light and light leaked through the slot as you were putting it into the camera. Always load in subdued light, or at least in the shadows with your back to the Sun, if you are outdoors.

Bright light was leaked through the slot for the film, sometime before you loaded it into the camera. The film was out of it's container and light got into it.

The light leaked into the slot, after you rewound it because the felt seal wasn't tight, or it was exposed to bright light. You do roll the film all the way back in, right? And you do remove the film in subdued light and press the seal closed, just in case?

Just some guesses, but all involve light leaking in while the film is being loaded or removed. That's based on just the first frames having the problem. If the camera had a leak, all the frames or at least, random frames, throughout the roll, would have light streaks.

Hope that helped?

Thanks for your answer. I am still not sure. i don't think I loaded film in bright light-I am talking about 3 rolls. It is an automatic load and rewind camera. Is it possible this could have happened in developing?

Edit: Whoops, misread the original post.:blushing:

Three quick ones.

The film was loaded in bright light and light leaked through the slot as you were putting it into the camera. Always load in subdued light, or at least in the shadows with your back to the Sun, if you are outdoors.

Bright light was leaked through the slot for the film, sometime before you loaded it into the camera. The film was out of it's container and light got into it.

The light leaked into the slot, after you rewound it because the felt seal wasn't tight, or it was exposed to bright light. You do roll the film all the way back in, right? And you do remove the film in subdued light and press the seal closed, just in case?

Just some guesses, but all involve light leaking in while the film is being loaded or removed. That's based on just the first frames having the problem. If the camera had a leak, all the frames or at least, random frames, throughout the roll, would have light streaks.

Hope that helped?

Thanks, I had problems with this too. Those are really helpful tips..

Thanks, I had problems with this too. Those are really helpful tips..

I suppose it would be helpful to explain why I made those guesses? :salute:

Since it's only the first few frames, it means the light got to the film while it was rolled up, and only to the edges, probably where it passes through one layer and maybe some sprocket holes. That's why you would have the red dots.

When the film is in the felt slot, it closed tight against it, but at the edges, there's going to be a tiny gap, before the felt seals again. That's where light is most likely to leak in.

When you consider that it takes 1/1000th of a second to take a photo, through a tiny hole in the iris, any stray light, leaking in, will make it's mark pretty easily.

I'd say it happened loading the camera or before you loaded the film, while it was just sitting with the leader sticking out. Carrying around film, outside of the plastic container, before or after exposure can let light leak in.

Have an example? Then it would be easier to make a guess.

By the way, it's not that uncommon. Old double 8 movie film, you didn't have a canister, the head and tail of every roll had burned out areas from flipping the film.

That's why I wrote that if you can't go inside or someplace out of the Sun, turn your back to the Sun and load in your own shadow. :lol:

Most reactions

Back