Light Meter Question

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a light meter to use both for outdoor shooting and with a two light studio setup. The setup is not elaborate as I'm just starting out using strobes. But I'd like a meter that's affordable and something that wil get the job done. I'm shooting primarily with a Canon F-1 and Digial Rebel secondary.

Any advice and/or input is appreciated.

You will need a flash meter for the studio set up (if they are strobes). Most flash meters will also act as a regular light meter.

I recently bought my first light/flash meter on E-bay...a Vivtar 230 LX
it's a bit old but the price was pretty good. Typically, modern flash meters are not very cheap...but you can occasionally find a good deal on a used one.

Minolta and Sekonic make several models and seem to be the leaders in this field.

If you go with either of the big 2, Sekonic or Gossen, you'll get a great product. This is an item that I would maybe look at used. Even a Minolta Auto Meter IV would be a good choice.
Shutterbug just had a review of JTL's LM-8. Might be something to look at also.

Thanks guys. so mike, the vivtar you bought .. does it work as a regular light meter as well?

I shoot film primarily therefore no histogram, but I have read quiet a bit where using an 18% gray and my camera's meter will yield similar results as that of an incident meter.

rp1600 said:
Thanks guys. so mike, the vivtar you bought .. does it work as a regular light meter as well?

Yes it does.

I got my meter two weeks ago and last week I got a studio strobe. I quickly realized that I can very easily use the histogram to find a good exposure when using the strobe. The meter should still come in hand when I try to figure out lighting ratios...I think :scratch:

Most reactions

Back