Light Metering Question

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am taking a dark room class and I'm using a Canon A-1 at times the camera is unable to use its built in meter (in dark areas or night shots). If I grab my D7100 and meter the photo, would the settings be the same or close? I noticed that the light meters that you can buy such as the Sekonic meters will meter for any camera regardless of film or sensor size, so this is where I got the idea. I have money to buy a light meter if needed but would prefer to use the other camera seeing as I haul it around for digital photos as well (don't want to miss out on some of my Photoshop fun).

Yep, a meter is a meter is a meter. As long as your ISO/ASA is the same on both (or you compensate for the difference), whatever your DSLR gives you should be fine for your SLR.

John - how much of a difference would the DSLR metering mode matter (ie: spot, center weighted, matrix)?

I'm guessing not much if you know when to use each mode.

Riley: The first thing we did when I took the first film class, was to pair up and meter on grassy spot, then run through apertures and shutter speeds to compare meters (and make sure they worked.)

Alrighty! I thought as much, I just wanted to check. I'm super excited. My grandpa had a great A-1 and a 28 2.8, 50 1.8, and 80-200 3.9. I am shooting my first roll to test the camera and its metering then I'll be super excited to go shoot and post.

Most SLR's I've owned were center-weighted. So I'd say if you set your DSLR up that way, it will mimic the SLR's metering.

Hopefully the light seals are still good!

John - how much of a difference would the DSLR metering mode matter (ie: spot, center weighted, matrix)?
Good point; A1 era cameras tend to have center weighted type of metering, so bear that in mind when you're using your DSLR.

Thanks for the idea snowbear and the info Sparky! My teacher is having us shoot our first roll to make sure the cameras we have are still light sealed and the meter works. I just knew my D7100 could meter nicely and I can shoot a few tests with it as well as have a digital/color version of the photo.

Not a bad idea. Enjoy the class and keep your paper box closed tightly.

Most reactions

Back