Light metering question

michael1055

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

just bought a Yashica Mat 124G.
The owner said the light meter is broken. I don't have a problem with metering myself but I'm not sure how.
Portra 160 and/or 400 is what I'm planning to shoot exclusively with it, no slides or black and white.

I always carry my D7000. Is it a bad idea to meter the scene with the D7000 then take a shot with it and add if needed 1-2 stops to the exposure to get good shadow detail?
Or a light meter app?
I also have a Zeiss ikon Ikophot S from my pops as well, not sure if it's accurate and I don't know how to use it to get a good shadow reading.

Whats the best way to meter with what I got? The D7000 method seems the best and most accurate to me.
I don't want to buy a incident light meter.

Thanks in advance
Michael

Sure, you could use the D7000's in-camera meter and transfer the exposure info to any number of other cameras.

As far as a light metering app for a smart phone: I downloaded a VERY good reflected light metering app for iPhone a few years back, and the readings were excellent! It also had this neat feature where I could take a small photo of the scene being metered, and that showed in red brackets, the metering area.

Pocket Light Meter
is the name of the application for the smartphone. Snaps a photo of the scene with the ISO, f/stop, and shutter time shown, and additionally, it allows you to write a Log Note with a paperclipped-icon'd, reduced size image of the scene's screen capture attached.Shows the date and time of the screen capture, and the exposure metering data. These SMALL images are saved as JPEG files, and go directly to the camera roll on the iPhone. VERY handy! This is fantastic for keeping track of a roll of film, and how it ewas metered, and what the photo actually looked like! A great way to sort of create a data file for any scene, or to create a "library of scene types". Like EXIF info for film, and you can write notes with focus info, or names of places, people, whatever, into the Log File info, using the keypad on the phone.

I used Pocket Light Meter and my iPhone for one summer as my meter for my Yashica 635 TLR and my 1938 Speed Graphic; it is a "real" light meter, and in most ways is better and handier than a Sekonic or Minolta meter. Being able to snap a photo of the scene being metered AND that photo showing the light meter's semi-spot area and exposure data AND your own comments? Fantastic!

The angle of view is narrow enough that it's easy to get good light readings. If you had a gray card and Pocket Light Meter, you could take a reflected light reading off of the card and use that as an incident type reading.

Don't forget about Sunny 16. On a bright day with heavy shadows, set the aperture at F/16 and the shutter speed at the reciprocal of the ASA/ISO. A 400 ASA/ISO would = 1/400 of a second, a 125 ASA/ISO = 1/125 of a second. Google Sunny 16, you'll get charts from bright sun to heavy clouds print it and store with your film cameras as a backup.

You can always check the Zeiss against your Nikon.

Last edited:
You can pick up used hand held meters on eBay without spending a fortune. In many situations that would be a lot better than using your D7000.

Here is the latest version for iPhone. it is FREE!

Pocket Light Meter on the App Store

Here's a link to their photo promo photo, showing what a saved meter reading and the scene it correlates with, as it looks in the Pocket Light Meter app . screen696x696.jpeg
Hey, I just downloaded the app. Looks easy-pezy. I had 'mylightmeter' on my smartphone, but it is quite annoying with their constant request to donate or upgrade to the pro version.

When I shoot film, my camera hasn't a meter. Usually, I like to eyeball the light, but it is good to have a backup to double check ... just to make sure.

Here's a link to their photo promo photo, showing what a saved meter reading and the scene it correlates with, as it looks in the Pocket Light Meter app . screen696x696.jpeg
Hey, I just downloaded the app. Looks easy-pezy. I had 'mylightmeter' on my smartphone, but it is quite annoying with their constant request to donate or upgrade to the pro version.

When I shoot film, my camera hasn't a meter. Usually, I like to eyeball the light, but it is good to have a backup to double check ... just to make sure.

Pocket Light Meter for iPhone is eazy-peasey!

Last edited:

Spend the buck ninety-nine. The ads are a pain.

Yeah...I agree...plus, it is worth $1.99 if you need to use it much. Otherwise...not worth it.

When I got the app, I tested it against my Minolta flash/ambient light meter: identical readings on flat-toned walls, palm of the hand, etc.. I really do think though for people who are not old hands, that the light meter readings (ISO, f/stop, shutter time) paired with the red metering area bracket, on the JPEG photos, can help them get the basic idea of various scene types.

Sunny 16 is a good baseline, and then there is the 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x,6x,7x type idea, where each progressively darker lighting scenario require one more "X" of exposure. As I recall, a bright moon-lighted landscape at night is about 21x to 22x MORE light than Sunny 16 is.

Hence the Zone System.

I don't use the meter enough for $1.99 ... most likely I don't have that kind of pocket money anyway, but let me check ... Yep, don't have a $1.99 laying around.

Dude...$1.99 is like the cost of one of the glasses of the wine you're gonna drink tonight at dinner!

Dude...$1.99 is like the cost of one of the glasses of the wine you're gonna drink tonight at dinner!
Wine is a necessity. An elixir of life. That is nothing but a light meter.

Okay, I'll buy the guy a pint.

Noooooooooo.......that would be Scotch. Wine is just the apettizer leading up to a good Scotch.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hence the Zone System.

I don't use the meter enough for $1.99 ... most likely I don't have that kind of pocket money anyway, but let me check ... Yep, don't have a $1.99 laying around.
They only take plastic, not pocket change.

Most reactions

Back