Light Metering

StanKubrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to buy a light meter, i've been shooting for several years now using the inbuilt meter in my Pentax K1000, but as I am now moving into film making, and working on more complex lighting setups in the studio, I need to set the camera on a tripod so I can have both hands free to move everything around. So I have a couple questions-

Are all light meters universal? i.e can I use the same meter for 35mm, 120 and 16mm cine film without having to change any settings?

How much of a difference do the higher end Meters really make? I can spend around £50 on one, but do the more pricier ones give a more accurate reading? Should I hold out and buy one worth £100? Im studying photography at university, and own all the equipment I need to develop and scan the negatives, but I dont have very much money at the moment.

Thanks

You can use the same meter for any still camera format.

A dedicated cine meter is recommended for motion picture use as they include frame rate and/or other movie camera factors. But, in a pinch you can get by with a still camera meter for cine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back