light painting...help me do this!

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never experimented in light painting but I am on a family vacation and I have a vision ;). We have a large group of people (25) and I want to take a group photo of us all with a few people writing our last name in the air with glow sticks. So can anyone give me the rundown on what I should do? I have a speedlight (I would have to use on camera).

I have never experimented in light painting but I am on a family vacation and I have a vision ;). We have a large group of people (25) and I want to take a group photo of us all with a few people writing our last name in the air with glow sticks. So can anyone give me the rundown on what I should do? I have a speedlight (I would have to use on camera).

You don't necessarily have to use your speedlight on camera. You just might need to do some exposure calculations or some trial and error. Have the group positioned how you want, set your camera to a 30 second exposure during the night on f/8 (or something similar) and you can walk around while they're painting their names and shoot the strobe from your hand with the test button.

That's what I did when making this photo, but I was walking behind the subject and firing the flash at her back while she was painting.

39223_424339031911_5068176_n.jpg

In that image...you had the speedlight behind right? (backlit) What if I want to see the people and the light? Do the same thing? The flash won't cancel out the writing?

In that image...you had the speedlight behind right? (backlit) What if I want to see the people and the light? Do the same thing? The flash won't cancel out the writing?

Flash placement will probably play a large roll, as well as intensity. If you're using glow sticks, you may want to use a larger aperture and a lower flash power.

good luck! lol looking forward to seeing this :)

Test with just yourself. Rear curtain sync, 10 second exposure. Write your name, then pose and wait.

Aperture and ISO to taste.

Also note that if the writing is too faint, write more slowly. The speed with which you move the glowstick will have a big effect on how intense the lettering appears in the exposure. This might be kind of obvious, dunno.

You don't necessarily have to use your speedlight on camera. You just might need to do some exposure calculations or some trial and error. Have the group positioned how you want, set your camera to a 30 second exposure during the night on f/8 (or something similar) and you can walk around while they're painting their names and shoot the strobe from your hand with the test button.

That's what I did when making this photo, but I was walking behind the subject and firing the flash at her back while she was painting.

39223_424339031911_5068176_n.jpg

Cool shot! Looks almost like a CD insert or something.

This was at ISO 100, on a tripod, pre-focused and set to bulb, aperture f/3.5, Canon 40D with a EF-S 10-22mm @ 10mm. The shutter was set to bulb and stayed open for as long as it took me to complete the making of the photo, which turned out to be 176 seconds, as follows:

I took my place in front of the camera at my 'mark #1' "inside" the orb, where I'd pre-focused, triggered the shutter by remote, and began the making of the photo. During the 176 second exposure, I performed the making of the orb using LED's wrapped in orange gels, with small holes that allowed the LED's to peek through to capture their blue light from certain angles. When the orb was complete, I went to my pre-arranged 'mark #2', where I'm seen in the photo, to pose with the imaginary orb, and remote triggered two speedlights - one between the two trees on the right side of the composition to serve as a main and to help with the illusion that I'm being lit by the orb, and the other to camera left to help fill the scene and light the bark. Result:

The_Enchanted_Place_6273.jpg

Be prepared, and tell everyone involved to be prepared, to do it several times, even if you think you got it right the first time.

Most reactions

Back