Light Pollution With Night Shots

deadtoaster2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I stumbled upon this site earlier today and have been reading for quite a while. I am not exactly a beginner but have a lot to learn so I thought I would post in here seeing as it is my first post. Please let me know what you think about some of my images. Also does anyone know of any tricks to help reduce light pollution when taking photos at night with long exposures? I can edit them in photoshop and reduce it quite a bit but completely getting rid of the nasty orange hue can sometimes be difficult with some shots. Thanks!

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

Yeah leave the city. Unfortunately light pollution is just that, pollution. Just like slime in the river, or dust in the air it is not something within the control of the photographer. In any event it wouldn't be a real city shot without the light pollution.

I think you can get a filter to darken shots. Some one else should be able to give you a better description. I like all your shots but the 1st and 4th are my favorites

For the orange cast, you can try to mess with the white balance settings in you camera, or shoot in RAW and fiddle with it later.

For the orange cast, you can try to mess with the white balance settings in you camera, or shoot in RAW and fiddle with it later.

Or get that Sodium Vapor, Mercury, Incandescent, Quartz... filter? :lol:

The problem is that the diffused light which some call pollution, is a mix of all kinds of light sources. It's a bear to alter or remove a broad spectrum of colors and not ruin the color in the rest of the image.

It is also a function of the exposure time. If you could take a fast picture, under low light, you wouldn't see that yellow glow as much, or some of those pretty blues that bulbs can make. Of course this contradicts the reason we take time exposures. Low light.

Since I've only used film for long exposures, maybe someone can fill in some digital advise. I still like film better because of lack of electrical complications, batteries, shutters and expensive remote controls.

Camera, film, a solid resting point (like a rock or a bean bag) and a cable release and you can take good night photos. Anyone else notice that digital cameras don't even have a cable release hole. Dang!

Part of the fun in night and long exposures, is the unusual color shifts. Otherwise we'd all just take the photo in the daytime?

Nice pictures deadtoaster2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back