Light Rail.. long exposure

it

was

not

underexposed.

I'm trying to think if there's some other way I can say this to you, but I can't really think of one more clear than that.
how can you tell? it's been processed. i only say that because i've done that before and came out with these characteristics playing with it in post.

For one thing, there is almost no noise. If you zoom in you can see a LITTLE, but even in the darker areas of the frame, very little noise. High noise in shadowy places on night imagery come from underexposure.

For another... the sky is blue and that indicates possible twilight to me, which would explain not only the low noise, but might explain why the windows are frozen.

For another... I've been doing this a long time. It's certainly possible there's a way to get that effect without my knowing it, but I gotta be honest... I doubt it.

With night exposures, it's best to overexpose slightly and then back off in post processing. (use RAW)

The exposure OP has in this is pretty much perfect. It just needs to be backed down a little bit.

Just so you know where I'm coming from with this...

Boston%20Early%20Evening%20and%20Night%20-%20Financial%20District%20Area%20-%20043%20pro%2016%20CROP.jpg
Awesome Image…:D
it is pretty decent. That location looks strangely familiar to me. lol

"pretty decent"

:lol:

Yeah, ok.

it

was

not

underexposed.

I'm trying to think if there's some other way I can say this to you, but I can't really think of one more clear than that.
how can you tell? it's been processed. i only say that because i've done that before and came out with these characteristics playing with it in post.

For one thing, there is almost no noise. If you zoom in you can see a LITTLE, but even in the darker areas of the frame, very little noise. High noise in shadowy places on night imagery come from underexposure.

For another... the sky is blue and that indicates possible twilight to me, which would explain not only the low noise, but might explain why the windows are frozen.

For another... I've been doing this a long time. It's certainly possible there's a way to get that effect without my knowing it, but I gotta be honest... I doubt it.

Awesome Image…:D
it is pretty decent. That location looks strangely familiar to me. lol

"pretty decent"

:lol:

Yeah, ok.
good info above. not sure what you are talking about with frozen windows. we decided that was the bridge railing. (unless you couldn't tell the difference at first either). the sky, color, dunno. with processing i just wouldn't count on that. The noise, yes, you are correct. i really just cant find much. so i could very well be wrong here on the under exposure part....(or i will say it at least doesn't appear to have been drastically underexposed). Doesn't really matter now. Apparently they are being sold. done deal.

far as your shot. yeah. pretty decent. im not sure what you are looking for. its boston right? have you considered posting it for cc?

You really are just astonishingly obtuse.

You really are just astonishingly obtuse.
well why did you post that photo on this thread. just to say "i took a photo of boston"?
and................
pretty decent photo. not sure really what you are looking for here. it isn't up for cc it is in someone elses thread.

I guess my response to you is "Post a picture of your own nighttime shot please" because if mine is only pretty decent, I'd like to see what really good looks like.

I guess my response to you is "Post a picture of your own nighttime shot please" because if mine is only pretty decent, I'd like to see what really good looks like.
im still working on night time shots. i have no way claimed to be better at night photography than you. what i am comparing your photo too is probably the other thousand night time shots I've seen and your claim of many years invested in this.. And it doesn't particularly stand out. So in that context and (the other probably million shots of boston floating around) it's pretty decent. But again, you are on someone elses thread and now you are upset (for no reason)and are trying top create a pissing contest..

Not upset. Just continue to find you baffling.

Not upset. Just continue to find you baffling.

Try hitting the mute button and playing pink floyds darkside of the moon lp.

Sounds crazy I know but it's they only way I ever managed to make heads or tails out of the wizard of oz. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back