Light sources for basic photography?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a few light sources for when I take photos. I'm not looking for equipment for a job or anything, but maybe even just some light bulbs in particular I should look into getting? Just a basic starting point to start getting comfortable with lighting. But not looking to spend a lot just yet.

blackrose89 said:
I want to get a few light sources for when I take photos. I'm not looking for equipment for a job or anything, but maybe even just some light bulbs in particular I should look into getting? Just a basic starting point to start getting comfortable with lighting. But not looking to spend a lot just yet.

Buy a speedlight!

How much do you want to spend? Why not get a couple of the cheapie Yongnuo flash units. They'll last you from this playing stage through some more advanced work.
When it comes to just buying bulbs, you've seen the posts. You'd need anywhere from 20 to the sky is the limit of them to really make a difference in your exposure. Turn every light on in your house, get it as bright as you can get it. Then set exposure. You'll be at a HIGH ISO still... and probably a low shutter. You'd need a LOT and you'd spend the same money as buying 2 cheapie yongnuo flash units and a trigger/receiver for them.

Flash units will work. Hell, whatever gets the job done. I'm just looking for something to use around the house for when I don't get a chance to actually go out shooting for a while. I've been looking through tutorials for water splash photography, bubble, low key, stuff I could do around the house and give it a try, but they all require added light sources.

The Morris Company makes a number of LOW-cost slave flash units that use household base threaded connections, and fit into regular "lamps". They get their power from the electricity supplid to the lamp base. These slave flash units look like,well, like weird flash units that are sort of like a light bulb! Adorama sells them. A brick and mortar photo store here, now out of biz, used to have a 3-light Morris set-up for quick, well-lighted portraits. Main, fill, background & hairlight combined...there are multiple kinds, all "AC slaves".

The beauty is these can be fitted into clamp-on lights, so you can get a parabolic-type light at Home Depot,etc. Or fitted inside of a regular "lamp" in place of a 60-watt household-style bulb...great for lighting up rooms with FLASH-balanced lighting,and making the room lights into FLASH!!! Pretty flippin cool, right??? You can find lamps galore at Goodwill...gooseneck, hinged on springs, whateva...

How much is your budget?

Flash units will work. Hell, whatever gets the job done. I'm just looking for something to use around the house for when I don't get a chance to actually go out shooting for a while. I've been looking through tutorials for water splash photography, bubble, low key, stuff I could do around the house and give it a try, but they all require added light sources.

You got some nice stuff at your site. Good work!

For low key, I always used available light fast film or a tripod. It is not everyones cup of tea. But I like that type of shots the best...

img030lr2.jpg

img014lowres.jpg

img033-3.jpg

img047-2.jpg

Last edited:

Yep!

I have a few of the slave/master bulbs that Derrel is talking about. I call them disposables. They're handy and cheaper than the YN's. You can then put them in a work clamp thingy you can find in the hardware dept at wal mart. Then you'd need a modifier for them which is a bit tricky as there is no mount for an umbrella or softbox or... BUT they are definitely a great option. And if you break one? your out less than $20!!!
I usually choose in favor of my speedlites instead of them. I like the battery operated option-no cord inside and I can go anywhere without a power source.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
MLeeK said:
Yep!

I have a few of the slave/master bulbs that Derrel is talking about. I call them disposables. They're handy and cheaper than the YN's. You can then put them in a work clamp thingy you can find in the hardware dept at wal mart. Then you'd need a modifier for them which is a bit tricky as there is no mount for an umbrella or softbox or... BUT they are definitely a great option. And if you break one? your out less than $20!!!
I usually choose in favor of my speedlites instead of them. I like the battery operated option-no cord inside and I can go anywhere without a power source.

Those do look cool though. I think those would be handy of you wanted to light a room up. Plug them into a lamp and have better light than continuous lol.

Thanks everyone but...... I think I found something much more my style

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:biglaugh: can't beat a 2 cent solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding!!!! But might hold me over until I can get a speedlight :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
blackrose89 said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/embed/8wtxTTkQF2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tupperware and toilet paper will do the same thing

blackrose89 said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/embed/8wtxTTkQF2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tupperware and toilet paper will do the same thing

HOLY SH!T a .02 cent solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you're thinking!!!!!

To really get any benefit of flash, you need to get it off your camera. Even a diffused pop up flash will result in mostly flat lightning, not to mention a huge circular shadow in your photo for most lenses.

Most reactions

Back