Light stands?

phnoob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I bought two 45W 5500K bulbs off Amazon to use with a little light box I built and they've made a world of difference! But I can't use them when taking pictures of objects outside of my small light box for two reasons:

1. I don't have stands for them, which I really need so that I can put one bulb on each side of the object (I also would need the stands to have sockets for the bulbs).
  2. When taking pictures outside of the light box there isn't any wall to reflect the light off of, so I have to point the bulbs directly at the object, causing major reflections and ruining the shots. I think I need something to reflect or diffuse the light?
Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive solution for me?

Hi 2WheelPhoto, thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid that would be two expensive for me, as I need two of them. Do you think something like this might work alright?: Amazon.com: LIGHT STANDS PRO HEAVY DUTY 7'6" SET OF TWO, WITH ALL METAL LOCKING COLLARS NOT PLASTIC by PBL: Camera & Photo

Also, regardless of the stands that I buy, I also need some sort of sockets to hold the bulbs, right?

Finally, how do I diffuse the light so that it doesn't reflect off the objects I'm photographing?

Thanks for your help!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't had much luck with cheap stands. I shoot on location mostly and my cheapies haven't held up to the mobility tasks. the manfrottos are very cheap for me compared to the cheap ones.

Are you shooting indoors? Or on location? Whatever you get, make sure it's air dampened.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you shooting ? What's your budget ?

I am taking pictures of products for reviews. Some of the things are pretty small, in which case I may use my lightbox, but others are too big to fit in the lightbox, or need to be outside of a lightbox for some reason.

As far as my budget goes, preferably under $100. (I know that's not much when it comes to lighting..).

I updated my post a few seconds after posting, sorry :)

Preferably under $100.

Check your local building supply store, clamp on reflectors are ~ $10 - $15 each.

Clamponreflector.jpg

Cheers, Don

Continuous lighting isn't the greatest but you aren't going to get much for under 100 bucks. Then again, I don't know anything about continuous lighting. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Check your local building supply store, clamp on reflectors are ~ $10 - $15 each.

Clamponreflector.jpg

Cheers, Don

^^^ This.

Also, look to ripstop nylon from joann fabrics or some other like store. Get white of course and put a single layer around the front of the clamp light.

Or you could hang the nylon in front of your lights (better). With this you can control the highlights by moving the bulb closer or further away. Sometimes you Do want highlights.

As to stands, Shop Kobalt Tripod with Mounting Tray at Lowes.com

Usually you can find these at your local hardware store. I found a set of two with the halogen worklights at a deal a while back.

The trick thing is that if you are careful in your selection you can find some that 3/4 inch electrical conduit fits right inside the top section. You have to take the top section off and turn it upside down but that's no big deal.

When you're done you have a heavy duty stand that's up to 14 or so feet high depending on how long a section of conduit you want to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back