Light up the Night

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend Ryan and I do a bunch of steel wool spinning photos every summer. Last night the weather was warm enough to do our first few of 2018. Here are my two favorites that I wanted to share!

Yes, I know train tracks are dangerous. We were on them for less than a minute and we were carefully watching each others backs in a dead silent rural section of track. I'm not here to debate safe practices.

1.)
I walk the Line by Destin Danser, on Flickr

2.)
AdventureMobile by Destin Danser, on Flickr

You need to stick another image in the circle ... you know, for that Dr. Strange feel.

Really like the first one. Sorta has a "time traveler" feel to it.

Me too! The first shot is a very fun one.

Sweet but that looks real dangerous.

Last edited:
Ok, how did you do that with the steel wool?

You put it in a kitchen whisk (or any steel cage), then tie a short rope to it. Like the steel wool on fire. Start spinning it. Open the shutter. Keep spinning. Close the shutter. Stop spinning.

Done. When steel wool burns it creates a shower of sparks.

It’s important to do it in the order I listed for a clean circle that doesn’t show the start or end of the spin when the circle isn’t round.

I usually shoot these around iso 200, f/4, and 5-10 second shutter speeds.

If we hadn't seen the first one, the second would look way cool! ;)

Image 1 is just CRAZY interesting.

If we hadn't seen the first one, the second would look way cool! ;)

Image 1 is just CRAZY interesting.

Thanks! It’s one of the few non landscape images that I’m going to print on metal and hang up!

Very cool.

I've been meaning to try this and the shower behind the car has given me an idea.

Do it! Can’t wait to see the results.

Make it part of your 500 project as a bonus :p

Side note; I love using other photographers as inspiration for new ideas. It’s one of the main reasons I use Instagram and 500px so much.

Most reactions

Back