Light Writing/Painting Toolkit

TheSolicitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've gotten into light writing lately, and I've been trying to expand my toolkit from a Maglite and an LED keychain to some other things...I've pulled the front light off my bike (it's a three wide LED situation) and the back light off, which is a super bright red light.

Those things feel good, but I need more ideas! I've liked using my phone or my computer, but they're not the most practical.

What would you suggest? Anything in the bag-o-tricks that you'd care to share? Thanks in advance!!

One that I shot last night....
40739_545080991459_29800273_32030743_843604_n.jpg

ThinkGeek :: Multi-color LED Flashlight

My buddy has one of these. It works pretty good and gives a small range of colors.

If your into light painting, check this video out, its simply amazing:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell some LED lights on my website that I run for hunters, but I just had the idea for using them in photography. I took some sample photos with them (obviously nothing too exciting... it was a first attempt) and they seem to work great for this purpose.

They are small (about twice the size of a thumbtack, they're magnetic, and come in green, blue, red (steady or flashing), orange (flashing), white, and one that alternates between green and red! If anyone is interested, PM me. They are around $15 for a set of 5, depending on which ones you get.

They are ideal for this because they're small enough to hide in the palm of your hand when you don't want that color to show, but bright enough to show up well on camera.

These pics were taken with a 10 sec shutter speed at f/2.0, ISO 100, on a Nikon D5000 with Nikkor 35mm 1.8 lens.

lightpaint-1.jpg

lightpaint-2.jpg

lightpaint-3.jpg

My boss is a light painter.. does some awesome work. He has some tips/tutorials and also a set with many of his light tools on his flickr account. Collection: Light Art Photography (Light Painting)

Might find some ideas in there. He actually creates some of his own electronics / light tools to make some really neat effects.

i have been obsessing over this all day.... and just found an awesome site. There are some videos showing how the shots were done, and there are photos of their gear.

Twin Cities Brightest

Don't ever use a laser pointer. They can damage cmos sensors. Just don't do it.

Steel Wool
3522291787_5c7de22a73_z.jpg

4199519506_8e5db5e7c3_z.jpg

Sparklers
3501587263_03364705b9_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back