Lighter images from disk???

evansy84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there

Having copied some Jpeg images (240 dpi res) onto a disc, for a friend who wants to upload them onto a website, they have fedback that the images appear lighter once uploaded.

Having viewed these on both my I-mac and I-pad, I am confused as why the same files would appear 'less warm'.

Can anyone help please?

Unless all devices/monitors are calibrated, it's hard to narrow down where & what the problem might be.

Also, you should ensure that the color space is consistent throughout.

Sounds like that pesky colorspace thing.

Apple's Browser is colorspace aware.

Many other browsers are not colorspace aware.

Just to help keep you on the right path, you may want to also know that when putting images on a disc, any ppi setting you assign for the images is meaningless. DPI (dots-per-inch) is not the same as ppi, and for digital photographs dpi does not apply.

PPI is not a term of image resolution, it is only related to the size of a print made from an image having a resolution of N-number of pixel columns (width), and N-number of pixel rows (height), for example as 600 px by 400 px.

Image resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the reply. They are using a PC, so being a little naive, is it that the Pc is not recognising the color space RGB that I worked on images in photoshop?

Thanks

Thanks for your advice. What would you suggest I do to try to resolve the images I sent to my friend? I will read your link also, thanks so much for that.

Just to help keep you on the right path, you may want to also know that when putting images on a disc, any ppi setting you assign for the images is meaningless. DPI (dots-per-inch) is not the same as ppi, and for digital photographs dpi does not apply.

PPI is not a term of image resolution, it is only related to the size of a print made from an image having a resolution of N-number of pixel columns (width), and N-number of pixel rows (height), for example as 600 px by 400 px.

Thanks for the reply. They are using a PC, so being a little naive, is it that the Pc is not recognising the color space RGB that I worked on images in photoshop?

Thanks

Thanks
That would depend which browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, etc) they are using with that PC. Apple's browser Safari, is the 4th most most popular web browser in the US (4%). Google Chrome is #3 (18%), Internet Explorer is #2 (33%) to the #1 web browser, Firefox (45%).

Also RGB is a very generic term for a number of colorspaces, each having a different color gamut, like sRGB, Adobe RGB 98, Apple RGB, Monitor RGB, ProPhoto RGB, ROMM RGB, scRGB, just to name a few.

Most digital cameras record photos as sRGB or AdobeRGB 98. Some popular image editors like Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom use Prophoto RGB as their default colorspace.

To expand on the color space issue...the problem comes when the viewing software tries to read an image that it assumes is what it's expecting (sRBG). Since colors are just numerical values to a computer, if the numbers don't match up, some colors will display differently.

You can avoid this problem by converting your photos, while still in Photoshop, to the expected color space (sRGB). Since Photoshop knows/is aware of, different color spaces, it does it's best to convert the image to the new color space while keeping it looking how you expect it to.

Many people actually choose to start with sRGB and stick to that, just to keep thing consistent and so that they don't have to worry about converting. There are pluses and minuses to this. While it is more convienent, sRGB is a smaller color gamut than others like Adobe RGB or Prophoto RGB etc.

Most reactions

Back