Lighting Advice

hk001441

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I am new to the professional photography business, it has been a hobby up until now. I have a studio space that I am working on setting up at the moment. I am looking for advice on a lighting kit that includes the simple black and white backdrop setup. I have a Nikon D3000 and a pretty large space that is currently lit with fluorescent lights on the ceilings. I will be doing family, children, and infant portraits. Any suggestions on a decently priced kit?? Thanks!

Please define 'decently priced'.

Lights can get expensive...

I am looking to spend 200-400 dollars

Okay, now that I've got that out of my system. $400 is barely going to buy you two of Adorama's Flashpoint lights which are the beginning of the consumer market. For professional use you need to be looking at something like the Elinchrom BxRi or BRX line, including stand and modifier, be prepared to spend at LEAST $750 PER HEAD!

wow thanks tirediron I have come to this website for help and every time I post I encounter rude people like you. I don't think I will be using this site anymore.

Derrel- Since I have never used a lighting system before would it be easier for me to start with continuous lighting? Also- what do you make of all these kits on the internet that are like 250 for a few lights and backdrops..like the ones on cowboystudio.com?

Continuous lighting would be vastly easier and is recommended for those individuals over flash/strobes.

"Helpful reply"???? ^^^^^^^^^ Or not???
Yeah, okay, not totally appropriate; apologies to the OP, but let's face it. A brand-new professional going into business without even having done the research on what equipment costs????? Sorry but while Flashpoints are great for the basement studio, they are NOT suitable for professional work.

Derrel- Since I have never used a lighting system before would it be easier for me to start with continuous lighting? Also- what do you make of all these kits on the internet that are like 250 for a few lights and backdrops..like the ones on cowboystudio.com?

I think the Flashpoint 320 M is the "best value" in lighting. Period. I personally think that studio monolights are easier for beginners than are continuous lights. THese have continuous modeling lamps, which are incandescent bulbs that "preview" the light that will emanate from the flash tube when the lights are "triggered" with the included PC sync cord, or by using an on-camera flash and the built-in "slave trigger" that is in each Flashpoint monolight.

Flashpoints are lower-end monolights, made in China by Mettle, and have been imported by Adorama for around 15 years now...they offer user-interchangeable flash tubes AND user-interchangeable modeling lights. They can be kept around! The low-cost stuff from COwboy Studios is basically "disposable", with NON-replaceable flash tubes.

Continuous lighting at the Cowboy Studio level is almost USELESS for moving children...it is NOT a good way to go. No. You really,really,really want to buy FLASH units. Trust me. Continuous light has a number of issues for "people" work....it's great for products and still-lifes, but for people...not at this price level, no.

Continuous lighting would be vastly easier and is recommended for those individuals over flash/strobes.

I guess I disagree with this...

While continuous lights are easier, there's a reason they call them hot lights.

Flash is not really *that* hard (ideally, you'll want a flash meter). Eventually, you'll migrate to flash, so you may as well get it over with and start there. It'll save you some money, and when you get the hang of it you'll be that much ahead.

It'll cost more right now, but in the long run you'll save money.

Your options are going to be very limited for the given budget though... I suggest you find more money...

Most reactions

Back