Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a book or e-book on lighting set-up. Basicaly all I want is something that will have photographs of various subjects with different lighting set-ups and then diagrams and notes on the set-up for that shot. Someone here recently posted a link to a website that had exactly that, but what I'm hoping for is something that I can put on my PDA or Netbook so that potential clients could look at various pictures and get an idea of the sort of lighting they might like for portraits.

Thanks; that 'site has the information, but i don't really think it would be appropriate to "borrow" their work and use it commercially.

I have 126 nice setups from kevin kertz, but it's for personnal use only, not for commercial use. Here is an example anyway:

I have this book on order from Amazon, it is basically photos and the lighting diagrams behind them. It was recommended by Mark Wallace in one of his videos and has some good reviews.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-People-Portraits-Fashion-Glamour/dp/294037807X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: Photographing People: Portraits, Fashion, Glamour (9782940378074): Roger Hicks, Frances Schultz: Books[/ame]

here is a review that seems characteristic of what everyone is saying about it
Though this book is not for someone completely unfamiliar with photography, it is great for those with basic studio lighting skills. If you've ever wondered, "how did the photographer get that shot?" the diagrams in this book provide you with a perspective beyond the finished print.

I enjoyed this book primarily because of its unique setup. Instead of a discussion of lighting techniques and how to use studio equipment, the book provides a visual glossary of terms, and then shows you many images. Each full-page image is accompanied by another full page containing the photographers' notes, studio diagrams, and camera settings.

From basic lighting setups to elaborate, this one should get you thinking about your own creative lighting techniques.

(As a warning, this book does have a small section with nude figures)

Thanks; that 'site has the information, but i don't really think it would be appropriate to "borrow" their work and use it commercially.

If your PDA or notebook can access the internet I dont see how referencing their website would be innapropriate. Couldnt you just email them the link? Besides, they only need to see the different lighting effects, not the setups.

Either way, if youre going to be offering the service why not use the diagrams to set the shots up yourself? Then you could use your own images to show clients. That way they can see what you can produce rather than the lights.

Last edited:
I have this book on order from Amazon, it is basically photos and the lighting diagrams behind them. It was recommended by Mark Wallace in one of his videos and has some good reviews.
Amazon.com: Photographing People: Portraits, Fashion, Glamour (9782940378074): Roger Hicks, Frances Schultz: Books
Hey, that looks good, thanks!

If your PDA or notebook can access the internet I dont see how referencing their website would be innapropriate.
Good point, however I'm in a more rural area, and cellular coverage is sporadic at best, nevermind WiFi.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have 126 nice setups from kevin kertz, but it's for personnal use only, not for commercial use. Here is an example anyway:
So much for respecting the copyright, or the spirit of the use license. :confused: (TPF is a commercial enterprise!)

If the image is online somewhere, a link would have worked just as well. :thumbup:

this is a very nice interactive website! thanks!

So much for respecting the copyright, or the spirit of the use license. :confused: (TPF is a commercial enterprise!)

If the image is online somewhere, a link would have worked just as well. :thumbup:

In Broto's defense, he did try to sell the guys book. And it looks like good reference material. I may check it out myself. :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back