Lighting control: gobos, snoots...

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Experimenting with a new lens and flashes last night I took some test shots of my kids, using twin flashes and an ETTL remote. Exposure was controlled and it was simple and all that, but I was left with typical shadows behind the subject and big overexposed flareups on a fireplace mantel behind a hair light set on the floor behind a seated subject.

Strobist is the standard to follow when talking about this subject, and the articles suggest cutting up cereal boxes and using black gaffer's tape to make snoots and gobos...great advice for cheap people like me who spent their kid's college money on a camera system.

There are products out there, seemingly inexpensive, that seem durable, weather resistant, and non-harming the the flash since they aren't taped on to the flash body. Here's a web site about them: http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/StoreFront

My question is this: Does anyone here use these? Has anyone used them? Did they work for you? Are they hype? I haven't looked for alternatives yet, but does anyone know of any?

Comment is encouraged.

Cheers!

Experimenting with a new lens and flashes last night I took some test shots of my kids, using twin flashes and an ETTL remote. Exposure was controlled and it was simple and all that, but I was left with typical shadows behind the subject and big overexposed flareups on a fireplace mantel behind a hair light set on the floor behind a seated subject.

Strobist is the standard to follow when talking about this subject, and the articles suggest cutting up cereal boxes and using black gaffer's tape to make snoots and gobos...great advice for cheap people like me who spent their kid's college money on a camera system.

There are products out there, seemingly inexpensive, that seem durable, weather resistant, and non-harming the the flash since they aren't taped on to the flash body. Here's a web site about them: http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/StoreFront

My question is this: Does anyone here use these? Has anyone used them? Did they work for you? Are they hype? I haven't looked for alternatives yet, but does anyone know of any?

Comment is encouraged.

Cheers!

One of the guys in the dc/baltimore/nova regional strobist group uses the honl snoot at the meetups. It works fairly well.

There are also ways of doing things without making a permanent mess on your flashes. I use velcro cable ties wrapped tightly around the flash heads for attachments. And if you make a snoot out of a cereal box and wrap it around the flash head to get the right size before taping the snoot together, it stays without tape or velcro. I have a Captain Crunch snoot for my Vivitars.

Edit:

The velcro mod. Click for the flickr page with a small little write up...though it's pretty self explanatory.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back