Lighting effect

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
adele.jpg

Ok....I don't have anything except my camera. I'm planning to take some photos this weekend and try to get this effect. Can a regular lamp help get this effect because i don't have an umbrella nor do I have any flash other than the in camera flash. Also can the SB-600 give me this effect by itself?

Also, can someone tell me what my settings should be on the camera? Be as specific as you can. I'll probably have to play to get the right settings but I at least need a starting place.

A regular lamp, sure! And the Nikon if used off camera. Then a lot of photo shop.

The light from a regular lamp will be very orange compared to daylight or flash, but you can deal with this with white balance.

Ok....I don't have anything except my camera. I'm planning to take some photos this weekend and try to get this effect. Can a regular lamp help get this effect because i don't have an umbrella nor do I have any flash other than the in camera flash...?

Well... you can use a "regular lamp," but not directly. And yes, bouncing it into an umbrella would be the first, best way to do it. But without an umbrella, you need to bounce the light off of something. Pointing a lamp directly at the subject or using a bare bulb will not give you this sort of results. The edge shadow will be too hard.

You can do this sort of work with a window, so long as you don't have direct sunlight streaming in.

-Pete

Ok well I don't have an umbrella so I'll have to try and bounce the lamp light off the wall or something. Unless the light from outside is just right. What settings should my camera be on?

What settings should my camera be on?
F5.6 aperture and 125th/ sec shutter speed.

Just kidding. Beth, you'll learn more by doing and experimenting on your own. You are using a digital camera, right?

Beth,

A thread asking this very question about this very same picture was active just a couple days ago. I'm guessing you must have seen it. I recommend you go take another look as your exact questions have already been answered.

You can find it here.

Yes I did see it and if I understood it I wouldn't be asking again....:mrgreen: I need someone to be more specific

F5.6 aperture and 125th/ sec shutter speed.

Just kidding. Beth, you'll learn more by doing and experimenting on your own. You are using a digital camera, right?

Yes it is a digital...but do I need the dial set to no flash auto or M,S,A,P or what?

No because I wanted a starting point. I wanted to ask what a good starting point would be before I even attempted to pretend like I knew what I was doing. LOL

If you do not yet understand what the knobs on your camera do then I would suggest that you slow down, read Understanding Exposure and think critically about your shots.

..................OR..................

Come here to the Photo Forum and ask us!

-Pete

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back