Lighting equipment - REALLY need help!

On the other hand, it it were me looking to spend that much on a new setup, I would buy as much used as possible, and piece together individual items that I liked.

i remember looking at that one and aparently it was on evens with the bx or fx400. the only thing i could find was if it had a fan (i know im obsessed with the fan but after my friend told be he managed to burn 2 of his lights cos of it. its a must now for my long shoots)

i would quite happily get either bowens or the bx400

Money is not neccesserily the issue for me.. if making sure i get good equipments for the cost. at £750 im nore than happy paying that if its got what i want. i would even have paid more if needs be.

The way I see it, you've got a Calumet operation in Manchester. Granted, Calumet carries a huge line of products, but having at least a very local branch of the company responsible for manufacturing your strobes would be a huge plus for several reasons. One is very very quick access to any accessory, upgrade, or rental you could dream of or need at a moment's notice, not to mention local hardware support. Further, since they're a UK-based manufacturer, you're far more likely to find a wider range of local used equipment.

The Elinchroms are good, if in my opinion slightly overrated. The Calumets are also very good in my experience, and as you mentioned they have fans.

There are two ways to get a good lighting setup with easily available accessories and support. One is to buy ProFoto. The other is to buy local.

I shoot with Broncolor strobes. They're ungodly expensive, have equally ungodly expensive accessories, and used parts and accessories are hard to come by. That makes it tough when I'm a slightly poor recent college grad. It also makes it more difficult to rent equipment when I need it that's compatible with my current lineup.

I think availability is paramount. Go with Calumet, new or used.

Crap i forgot to change my location on here. im actually living in east anglia now not manchester.

i will look into Calumet products then if you think they better.

:D this thread has been a good read

i also live n manchester UK :)

Crap i forgot to change my location on here. im actually living in east anglia now not manchester.

i will look into Calumet products then if you think they better.

All in all, I don't think that they're "better" per se. I just think fast, cheap availability of replacement parts, used modifiers, and support is a really valuable thing. If I burned out a flash tube today for one of my Broncolors and didn't have an extra, I'd have to order it online or have a local shop special-order it. You, on the other hand, might be able to drive to the other side of town and grab one. What if I took some gig for which I needed to rent a battery pack or rent or buy some specialized modifier. I'd be in a much better spot living in relative proximity to my equipments' manufacturer.

Most reactions

Back