Lighting for Indoor Hockey

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by DFRANCIS, May 19, 2015.

1. PATRICK MURPHY-RACEY

PATRICK MURPHY-RACEY TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure, you will probably need Elinchroms for this purpose. How many lights you use will dictate how much of the rink you can shoot. If you can only do two heads, I'd shoot for doing one goal since the action mostly happens there. The problem with strobing hockey is the rink is SO long and big. It's a ton of ground to cover. what you want to avoid is what we call "dirty ice," which is when there is not enough light to get all of the ice lit the same--any part you can see in the background will turn grey and then black. What is typical in NHL arenas is the use of 6 (minimum) or 8 packs and heads. What gear you choose depends on two things: 1. how bright is it lit now, and 2. how high is the ceiling or catwalk. The lower the ceiling/catwalk, the more lights you have to use. The really high arenas can get away with just 6 lights because as the light is dispersed from a greater distance, the more even a larger area of the rink will be lit. If your arena is pretty dark, you can maybe use a set of Elinchrom 500 or 600 w/s heads with sport reflectors. if it's pretty bright, you may need two sets of Elinchroms or a set of Speedotron packs and heads. I do these types of installs all the time and can assist you with using either new gear or used heads. last, you will want to use a PocketWizard system to trigger everything you install. it's really the only system that can handle the distance and sync.
    You can find me at pmrphoto.com--just use the contact link and I'll get back to you.

2. snowbear

snowbear Oh Hai I iz Bear! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    2015 thread. I'm sure the OP has figured it out by now.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would hope so! And if this isn't in an NHL arena, better learn how to shoot in low light with crappy glass - figure out where the lighting is decent and pray to the hockey gods.

4. John Fantastic

John Fantastic TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

hahahahahaha I did'nt notice it too. :)