Lighting Kit

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a lighting kit (to ship to Canada) for still photos. My main issue is that my budget is between 100-200 dollars and I want something portable with a carrying case. I have been looking around and am so lost. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am no expert but I think a couple stands, umbrella flash brackets, umbrellas, trigger/receivers, should be less than $100 while utilizing speed lights if you have them. Personally, I would not trust those monolights. If I were in the market for mono's, I would save my money up and buy Adorama's Flashpoint 320 or 620 kit.

Check this thread out. Attention to Derrel
General Critique #2 Please | Photography Forum

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The "shipping to Canada" part will be what kills this deal...the rates are very prohibitive. You might want to see what the larger Canadian-based retailers or e-Bay dealers can offer you. The Cowboy STudio, two-light,two umbrella, two-stand deal **is** cheap lighting gear...that's why the price is low. I know the Canadian dollar is not very strong right now, but $375 sounds like too much to me: those monolights are cheapies...similar ones from Adorama, with non-replaceable flashtubes, are $49 to $69 typically.

Monolights like that, plastic housing, non-replaceable flashtubes, low power...if they last five years are an okay deal. The thing is they are basically to be used as disposables. Adorama's "budget monolight" series is a good example of this product type. The 320M is a replaceable flashtube type unit, so, a step higher up the ladder.

I personally think $375 is just a little too much money for the Cowboy Studio setup. (roughly $265 US dollars)

Great replies and thanks for the link above. For me this set is only $170 with shipping and the case, in my Canadian dollars. I didn't realize the bulbs were not replaceable though, that it is a disposable light. Maybe I am better off with one and using my flash off camera or natural light as my second.

Cowboy Studio used to be junk and had a bad reputation. Something about lights catching on fire. Unfortunately there is a reason that a cheap Profoto setup is about $5,000.

I went with YN 560 iv, and a yn560 tx transmitter from Amazon.ca. It fits into your budget. Add a shoot thru umbrella, light stand and a bracket and your all set, and in budget. Came three weeks earlier than expected too!

I like it so much I'll be adding 2 more yn560iv lights, to easily remove shadows, act as rim/ hair lights etc or just to kight up a party hah.

image.jpg

I want to get a lighting kit (to ship to Canada) for still photos. My main issue is that my budget is between 100-200 dollars and I want something portable with a carrying case. I have been looking around and am so lost. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I know this is going over your budget but for 225 US dollars you can get a Paul C Buff AlienBees B400 light kit (sorry, don't know the conversion. But they ship to Canada :) ). I have the B800s for portraiture and I've never had a problem with them. I usually have mine powered half down. Depending on what you're shooting, a B400 may be worth the extra money. The advantage of using the cheaper shoe camera flash that someone else posted is you'll be able to shoot off camera with a trigger or on your camera's hot shoe; so you in a way get 2 lights in one. I did that for a little while while I was just learning lighting. And just shy of 100 bucks may be your best bet.

I shipped another set yesterday is going to total 135. Ordered a 560iii, as I already have 2 transmitters with the 560iv and 560tx.

Cant wait to light it up a bit more. Also read strobist again today thats a pretty good blog for speedlights.
OG

PS 225 american is like 700 Canadian dollars atm.

I know this is going over your budget but for 225 US dollars you can get a Paul C Buff AlienBees B400 light kit (sorry, don't know the conversion. But they ship to Canada :) ). I have the B800s for portraiture and I've never had a problem with them. I usually have mine powered half down. Depending on what you're shooting, a B400 may be worth the extra money. The advantage of using the cheaper shoe camera flash that someone else posted is you'll be able to shoot off camera with a trigger or on your camera's hot shoe; so you in a way get 2 lights in one. I did that for a little while while I was just learning lighting. And just shy of 100 bucks may be your best bet.

Adorama's brand is cheaper and you can get more light for your money. Plus they don't suck.

I went with YN 560 iv, and a yn560 tx transmitter from Amazon.ca. It fits into your budget. Add a shoot thru umbrella, light stand and a bracket and your all set, and in budget. Came three weeks earlier than expected too!

I like it so much I'll be adding 2 more yn560iv lights, to easily remove shadows, act as rim/ hair lights etc or just to kight up a party hah.

sounds like a good studio lighting setup

Most reactions

Back