Lighting more than the subject

WideAperture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm fairly new to advanced photography. Below is a picture I took this past Saturday. The photo itself ended up being ok but it's not what I was trying to achieve really.....so my question.....how do I light more than just subject? I want more of the room and subject to be lit equally. I didn't want the shadow but it ended up being sorta cool. I was using an Alien Bee 800 strobe that was pointed directly at her with a socked beauty dish on the strobe.

Sorry if this is a "duh question" but I'm not very good with lighting. I get too many good shots on accident and really want to achieve what I'm envisioning before the shoot.

More lights or bounce the one you're using.

Add a light, point at wall behind camera, bounce the light back evenly throughout.

using tapatalk.

A beauty dish is a specialized light modifier designed to produce a specialized type of lighting effect, but they're not intended to do everything.

For this shot, you could bounce an unmodified strobe off the wall behind you, or set up more lights.

Some links that will benefit you:

Strobist: Lighting 101 (note: there are many articles here, and when you're finished with 101, there is 102, so good reading!)

Speaking of reading; here is one that has been highly recommended by many on here:

Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting: Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: 9780240812250: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In addition to Designer's comments about a BD being a specialized modifier, it's also a small one, producing strong shadows. Assuming that moving the organ wasn't an option, I would have lit this as follows (based on the key light remaining where it was):
-Fill light just off lens axis camera right with large umbrella 2/3 - 1 stop below key; and
-secondary fill directly behind the model pointing at the organ 1 - 2 stops below key to fill in the shadows underneath and above the organ.

IN addition to the lighting I would have moved the camera two feet to the left and raised up a foot to get more of the model as well as the beautiful antique organ and perhaps even the glass piece on the wall.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back