Lighting Questions.

thecameragirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to do something like this: click here
What type of flash and stands? Any Brands in particular that you'd recommend that are in a reasonable price range. I'm looking to stay around $200 if possible.

Also, If I am shooting models, what do I look for in external flash (specs) or lighting in general?

Thanks in advance!

I have a Canon Rebel XT.

Why Speedlites? What do they offer?

Read the rest of the strobist site. He gives you very detailed what hows and whys. Even if you're a Canon man I'm going to recommend Nikon lights. Simple reason is the 400 series of Canon flashes lack the most basic ability to set the power manually. The 500 series does if you want to fork out $500 for a flash. But for that price you could have 2 older Nikon SB-28s and a set of wireless triggers. Vivitar flashes apparently also work very well but I have never used them.

If you do go Nikon or Vivitar just bear in mind that your E-TTL metering system will not work with these flashes. So either fire them in manual or self metering automatic modes. Infact with digital canon cameras TTL won't work at all unless you have a 400ex series (not ez) or 500ex series, as far as I have been able to figure out.

Have you read the 'Lighting 101' section of that site? It's a pretty informational read.

Simple reason is the 400 series of Canon flashes lack the most basic ability to set the power manually.
I can set the power manually on my Canon 430EX.

Most reactions

Back