Lighting Recommendation

dekiblue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm kind of a beginner. My office purchased Nikon D5200 and Speedlight SB-700 to photograph events we host (conferences, workshops) and interviews. The lighting condition in our conference room is not a complete disaster but I would like to have some additional lighting that my assistant can hold since using only on camera flash gives rather harsh light. Also the conference room has low ceiling.

What would you guys recommend? I would also need a setup for interviews: background and lighting.

The budget is around US$ 2,000.00

Thanks so much.

Deki

You can use constant lighting for the interviews. For the other work, the sb700 will work fine. Just practice bouncing flash.

The best overall lens I ever used on DX was the 16-85 vr2'. Inside single and groups were outstanding..

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Off camera lighting that is not modified so it is an apparently large source of light will also be harsh.

The further from the subject a light source is, the smaller it is in apparent size.

Lighting is an entire subset of photographic knowledge.
If there is another type of lighting in the room you could wind up with some odd looking color casts from what is known as 'mixed lighting'.
Digital cameras don't see like humans do, and have to be told what color temperature of light is being used, which is why they have a White Balance setting.

Understanding White Balance

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,

I'm kind of a beginner. My office purchased Nikon D5200 and Speedlight SB-700 to photograph events we host (conferences, workshops) and interviews. The lighting condition in our conference room is not a complete disaster but I would like to have some additional lighting that my assistant can hold since using only on camera flash gives rather harsh light. Also the conference room has low ceiling.

What would you guys recommend? I would also need a setup for interviews: background and lighting.

The budget is around US$ 2,000.00

Thanks so much.

Deki

For general lighting, you can bounce the flash off the ceiling or the wall behind you. Pay attention to the type of lighting in the room. If it is fluorescent, gel the speedlight(s) to match the light color.

You can also get one or two more speed lights and stands which will enable the Nikon CLS. Get a couple of Nikon SB-910 speedlights, two or three stands, some white umbrellas, and a backdrop and stands, all within your budget.

You have just begun a life time of spending my friend. lol. Good luck.

To learn how to consistently produce professional quality results should only take 6 months to a year or so, as long as you are regularly shooting the same situations over and over again in the same locations.

If you only shoot occasionally and always have to vary the set-ups, it could take quite a bit longer to learn how get consistent results.
If you have to vary the setups, you'll likely also wind up with quite a bit more lighting, lighting modifier, and grip gear (rigging for lighting - like clamps, light stands, brackets, etc).

No doubt, if your company doesn't require the consistent production of professional quality images, the time line for advancing up the learning curve is moot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back