Lighting Starter Kit...(Please Advise)

enezdez

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like start getting into portraiture photography...

Currently all I have is the Nikon SB700...

I was thinking of purchasing the following in order to get my feet wet & learn...

Westcott Rapid Box - 26" Octa Softbox...
Westcott Deflector Plate for Rapid Box...
Kupo Universal Stand (12.5" - Air Cushioned) - (Because the 8' is always sold out).

Would this be a good starter set to use with one speed light? The whole thing minus the speed light (I already have it) is a little under $310.00...Or do you guys recommend something totally different?

Thanks In Advance With Your Prompt Replies!

Enezdez

The 3 items for $310.
It seems the price is rather high.
The Westcott site has the box on sale for $170 and the plate for $20, total $190.
The stand could not cost $120. I see that B&H sells it for $93.

The stand needs to be able come down to a usable height. And according to the B&H site, it comes down to 48 inches. That may not be low enough for a seated person. This is the problem when getting a TALL stand.

Can't comment on the prices as I assume they are US. The set-up itself is a good start. I'm going to disagree on the stand though; 48" should be fine for a seat person. I would much prefer a taller stand to a shorter one.

The 3 items for $310.
It seems the price is rather high.
The Westcott site has the box on sale for $170 and the plate for $20, total $190.
The stand could not cost $120. I see that B&H sells it for $93.

The stand needs to be able come down to a usable height. And according to the B&H site, it comes down to 48 inches. That may not be low enough for a seated person. This is the problem when getting a TALL stand.

You are correct with the prices but there is tax (I live locally to B&H).

Can't comment on the prices as I assume they are US. The set-up itself is a good start. I'm going to disagree on the stand though; 48" should be fine for a seat person. I would much prefer a taller stand to a shorter one.

Thank you both, I am going to go with @tirediron suggestion regarding the stand's size.

Cheers,

Enezdez

The problem is the 12.5ft stand has a 48" min height, which does not give you any option to go lower, if you need to.
I would rather have an 8ft stand that can go down to maybe 36 inches.
Well I suppose, you could use a stool to raise the person to a height that the 48" min height will work.

I think a 42-inch enclosed, reflecting umbrella with a front diffusion fabric panel, AKA an "umbrella box", is a better first light for a speedlight user. Steve Kaeser Enterprises sells a very nicely made and designed umbrella box. I own several. He's been in business since the 1980's!

I would buy this 10-foot spring-cushioned stand for $29.95. Light Stand 10ft Spring Cushioned Heavy Duty Photo Video New By PBL

I would buy this 42-inch umbrella box for a nickle under $30.

Softbox Umbrella Reflective 42inch

You also want an umbrella swivel mount.

TOTAL set-up cost? Under $90.

Derrel,
Having not used an umbrella box, but an open umbrella where the shoe flash is considerably further away from the umbrella, how well does it work with the flash in so close to the umbrella?

Derrel,
Having not used an umbrella box, but an open umbrella where the shoe flash is considerably further away from the umbrella, how well does it work with the flash in so close to the umbrella?

Works great!!!! These drawstring closure umbrella boxes are nice. Works well with a speedlight, or a typical studio flash head. These are my favorite type of umbrella-based modifiers. One gets double diffusion; the light hits the umbrella's concave side, and is diffused and scrambled, and then that light is sent through the diffusion panel front...NICE lighting!

No retouching, just simple conversions from raw, 42-inch umbrella box lighting: _D3X9738-2_Candidate.jpg A heavy vignette was added to this

_D3X9683_Candidate.jpg

There was a background light, gelled, red, firing onto light gray fabric. The power of the flash drove the red up to pinkish in hue. VERY simple, two-light setup using an unbrella box, no reflector, set-up in five minutes' time.

Yes, that is an umbrella swivel mount. I prefer ones that have lever closing and opening handles. The one linked to uses knobs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back