Lighting....studio

MLP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post and I do not know if I am posting this question on the right board…
I have my first newborn photo shoot on Saturday and I just want to make sure I have my lighting correct. I have a main light and a filler and also a hair light. I will be using my black or chroma key background. What is your opinion on how I should set my lights up? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Keep in mind, if its a new born it may not be able to hold itself up. So you may need to shoot it in a crib or on a bed on a flat surface maybe with pillows on its side or to prop it up at an angle or make alittle chair under the blanket to hold it up. If the kid can hold itself up, I would say use the black background because its dark and doesnt distract or draw awayfrom the kids face. Could pose the kid like above with pillows or on its stomach holding itself up with its elbows. for lights I would say set the main light up just off center infront of the kids face, take the filler off to the otherside of the kids face at more of an angle so the light crosses over and fills in shadows a bit. then set the hair light up as normal. Unless the kids lying on his back then do pretty much the same w/o a hairlight. You may want to try with just your main light. Ive seen some really nice onelight portraits of babies.

Good luck, and take lots of shots!

Most reactions

Back