Lighting study: Light painting a car

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, here goes. I've been trying to learn how to light paint a car. I started a couple nights ago with just a flashlight:

Light painting study-car by longm1985, on Flickr

Upgraded to a work light and put some advice to work:

Beep beep by longm1985, on Flickr

Then tried again tonight:

Light painting study-Car, 3 by longm1985, on Flickr

So that's where I am now. If tonight was clear, I would have done the star thing, but it's foggy and cloudy. How am I doing so far? What can I do better next time?

You have been supremely helpful, sir. Seriously. Every link you've given me I've bookmarked, and the numbers are starting to add up. Thank you. :D :hail:

I was actually about to suggest the same, I've watched some of this guys videos and learned a lot.. I think I love the second one best, but it could have used a little light inside of that car, really love the stars, you should photoshop the strange thread like object from the sky IMO.

If it's clear tomorrow, I'll be trying again, and hopefully with stars. It was cloudy tonight, or I would have made sure they were there. The thread thing is actually a plane blinking away up there-apparently it was a long enough exposure to catch it.

Edit: Also learned to get closer and use a wider angle. I also like the composition of the second one, but the lighting of the third, so hopefully I can combine this.

Last edited:
I like the second one. I think #3 looks too "even".

on all three, it looks like you never bothered with the far side of the car, so the roof and edges rent popping against the bg.

I didn't for the Focus, actually. Was thinking of popping off a flash just out of view; the Mini, I made probably 3 or 4 passes on the roof alone, but it just plain didn't show up. In any case, I'll fire something off behind the car next time.

I'd suggest you make two separate shots and blend them together in Photoshop...meaning one night shoot a nice starry sky, with just enough long ezposure like in #2, then you do not have to bother about background later on. Just concentrate on light painting your car. Composite the two best shots together and you have a good scenario with all the drama.

#2 is my favourite too...just that it lacks the back of the car and the dimmy light inside it... You've done very well in these three shots. I love them...

I always suggest that one takes a few exposures of the scene (however you want to shoot it) before rolling the car in place. Gives you a nice base to work it.

I MIGHT be trying this again tonight. I don't have the knowledge or software to combine two images, so I've been working as hard as I can on just using a single shot to do this with. Trying the background is a great idea, though-gives me an idea of what I have to work with in terms of ISO or aperture before I start. I'll definitely do that. Hell, I can put the car in the shot and just not paint it even.

I use 1,000,000 candle watt spot light they seam to work well.

I really like number 2 as well, but the other side of the car needs more separation from the background as Brain mentioned.

I think this one's a bit better, but the trees kinda suck. Wind blowing them around made them look like hell. I like the scene, though, and if it were a starry night, there would be some (the light pollution in this looks a lot worse than it really is, kinda intentionally from editing). I definitely need to even out that hood, though. I'll get it next time.

Light painting study, Car, 4 by longm1985, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back