Lighting tips needed to get a similar image

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am about to do my first wedding reception photoshoot this September. My client has shown me few images and I am preparing a lighting plan to get a similar result. First one is this:

http://weddingsilksarees.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/orange-wedding-saree.jpg

And my lighting plan:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1. Kindly comment if my plan is okay.
2. I see almost equal exposure on her whole body. But with softbox, I may lose some exposure below her chest. How do I overcome?
3. Will just natural light with diffuser (if needed) provide a similar result?

Thanks.

Your plan seems necessarily complicated to me. I think a single large modifier, just off-axis, set far enough back to ensure fall-off isn't a problem, and with flash output set to balance ambient, or maybe 1/3 stop over would do the job.

Your diagram is kind of unusual, and difficult to "read". it looks to me like the light in the photo comes from overhead, diffused sky-light, with the sun filtered by clouds, and the light coming from high overhead, and slightly camera-left.

Overhead light and a large, ground-mounted reflector would work. I agree with T-i above, that one, single, large modifier just off the camera-to-subject axis would do the trick. With the light far enough away from the subject, fall-off would be minimized. Using a 1.5-meter by 1.5 meter cloth or tarp on the ground could also help, by providing bounce fill.

Thanks a ton, gentlemen. Should the large light modified be behind the subject? The earrings shadow on her cheek gives a feel so.

I found the photo really very nice.

I'm guessing the shot you linked was 100% natural--just shot on an overcast day.

Unless you're versed at flash photography, I really don't see this going well during a wedding--especially without an assistant. Your questions and diagram suggest you're not so versed -- so you may want to fall back on the KISS approach here.

I'm guessing the shot you linked was 100% natural--just shot on an overcast day.

Unless you're versed at flash photography, I really don't see this going well during a wedding--especially without an assistant. Your questions and diagram suggest you're not so versed -- so you may want to fall back on the KISS approach here.

"....on an overcast day."

That is what it looks like to me...overcast weather.

Earring shadow? What about the under-chin shadow, and the shadow her right arm casts on her hip, and the shadows in the folds of the dress? You need to look more closely, and see there is light coming from ALL around her...overcast, diffused light, from the overhead sky, but from all around her.

Thanks to one and all! I will update my pictures here once the shoot is over. All your comments were open and guiding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back